HALL O' TH' HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072473

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: HALL O' TH' HILL, CHORLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALL O' TH' HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 21:52:24.

Location

Statutory Address: HALL O' TH' HILL, CHORLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley (District Authority)

Parish: Heath Charnock

National Grid Reference: SD 60314 15030

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 61 NW HEATH CHARNOCK off CHORLEY ROAD



6/136 Hall o' th' Hill 22.10.1952 GV II*

Large house, probably early to mid-C17 (though date 1724 given by Fleetwood-Hesketh, quoted by Pevsner); altered, now Golf Club. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with projecting eaves and bracketed cornice, 2 chimneys on the ridge. Now symmetrical rectangular 5-bay plan (formerly L-shaped, but rear wing demolished). Three storeys, with chamfered plinth, drip courses; distinctive facade with flanking 5-sided 3-storey bay windows at ends of facade, which are glazed continuously. Windows are double chamfered with mullions, and also transoms to ground floor, so that windows of 4 lights (to the outer bays) and 6 lights (to the centre) correspond to those of 2 and 3 lights above. Doorway with moulded architrave. Left and right return walls both have a large mullioned and transomed ground floor window (6 and 8 lights), a stepped 3-light mullioned window with stepped hoodmould at 2nd floor, a hollow chamfered bullseye (with hollow spandrels) above; at 1st floor the right return wall has a 4-light mullioned window with a hoodmould, but the left has a sashed window. To the rear at this end is a shortened staircase wing with mullioned and transomed windows on 3 levels. Interior: altered, but large ΒΌ-round moulded beams (characteristic of early to mid-C17) are visible on all floors. (Pevsner; Fleetwood-Hesketh)

Listing NGR: SD6031415030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357653

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Lancashire, (1955)

End of official listing