This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COPSE ROAD CHAPEL AND ATTACHED HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COPSE ROAD CHAPEL AND ATTACHED HALL

List entry Number: 1072599

Location

COPSE ROAD CHAPEL AND ATTACHED HALL, COPSE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clevedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468831

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4071 CLEVEDON COPSE ROAD (North side) 749/l/l0004 Copse Road Chapel and attached hall

GV II

Congregational Free Church. 1851; attributed to Foster and Wood of Bristol. Limestone rubble of 2 colours and with freestone dressings. Concrete tile roof with open pedimental gable ends and bracketed deep eaves and verges. STYLE: Italianate. PLAN: the auditoriwn lies north-south with rostnun at north end and gallery at south end; and a transept [now partitioned off] on the north end of the east side; entrance vestibule with gallery stair and church rooms on the east side and cellar under the north end. In 1877 a hall was built on the west side. EXTERIOR: the south front has tall tripartite round-headed window with keyblock, transom, bracketed cill continuing as band left and right and window frames with margin panes. Lower range on right with hipped roof with modillion eaves and round-headed doorway on front with keystone and imposts to narrow round-headed side lights; the doorway and side lights set in recessed panels; right-hand [east] return pairs of round-headed windows and transept to right with open pedimental gable, oculus and 2 tall round-headed windows; similarly gabled north end and rounded windows on west side with similar gable to left. The hall on west side has tripartite round-headed windows with moulded string at impost level and cornice above with date 1877 and anthemion antefixae above; hipped roof with wooden clerestory. INTERIOR: open timber roof with carved tie-beams on corbels. Gallery with timber and wrought-iron balustrade [now glazed underneath]. Rostrum with coffered panels and pilastered corners. Seating replaced. Transept now partitioned from auditoriwn. Vestibule has gallery staircase with twisted balusters. Hall has scissor-braced roof



Listing NGR: ST4026171638

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 40261 71638

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 09:03:15.

End of official listing