Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FAIRLAWNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 14:07:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 59436 53430


TQ 55 SE PLAXTOL TONBRIDGE ROAD 3/14 (east side)

1.8.52 Fairlawne I

Country house. Earlier building rebuilt for Sir Henry Vane 1630-55, additions by Lord Barnard 1680, completed for Lord Vane 1723, in part by James Gibbs. Victorian additions and interior decoration by William Burn before 1840 and J MacVicar Anderson 1872. Most Victorian additions removed 1954. West front. 1680. Dressed and coursed Kentish ragstone on ragstone plinth with painted stone pilaster-strip quoins, plat-band at architrave window surrounds. Modillion cornice and parapet hiding slate roofs. Two-stage cupola off-centre to left, square, with canted corner pilasters and entablature on lower stage and lead cupola, 3 brick stacks, 2 either side of centre, one at left-hand end. Two-storeys; 9 bays, the central 4 spaced slightly further apart, glazing bar sashes. Three-bay Roman Doric 'porte cochere' with paired columns, added in 1872 by J MacVicar Anderson. Slightly recessed northern extension, possibly hiding part of the earlier house with facade probably by Gibbs in 1723. Dressed and coursed rubble with painted stone pilaster-strip quoin and keystones to windows. Cornice, parapet and left and stack. Three storeys; 4 bays, glazing bar sashes. South front quoins and dressings. Plat-band, modillion cornice and parapet hiding slate roofs. Central 2 bays project slightly with pediment in parapet area. Two storeys; 6 bays, glazing bar plinth with stone pilaster-strip quoins and dressing. Plat band, modillion cornice and parapet hiding slate roof. Two storeys, 5 bays, glazing bar sashes. Central glazed door with rectangular over-light and segment pediment hood. Taller 2-storey block to north-east with attic pediments facing south and east. Two bays to south, with glazing bar sashes; 3 bays to east, sashes without glazing bar sashes. Seven-bay conservatory of 1872 to east, with Roman Doric colonnaded loggia and glazed internal barrel-vault. Interior. Entrance hall. Panelled with 1872 plaster ceiling and single C18 black marble fireplace. Study. Two-storey fireplace, topped by broken swan-neck pediment and door surround with carved and pierced frieze. Great Room. Wood panelled with carved ornament. Door surround with fluted Ionic half-columns and triangular pediment. Marble fireplace with half-columned and pedimented sedicular overmantel. Drawings for this room survive in the Gibbs Collection at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. See Country Life, 30 October and 6 November 1958. Also 27 November 1958 for correspondence on the attribution to Gibbs of the Great Room.

Listing NGR: TQ5933754660


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 6 November, (1958)
'Country Life' in 30 October, (1958)
'Country Life' in 27 November, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].