BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072748

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, CANNON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072748 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:34:36.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, CANNON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 75883 28515

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ACCRINGTON CANNON STREET SD 72 NE 7/10 Baptist Church - - II

Church, 1873. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Aisled nave with transepts, 3-sided apse, south-east tower with spire. Early English style; some windows lancets, others 2-centred with tracery, quatrefoils etc. Entrance in south gable to road has gableted doorway with moulded arch of 3 orders including marble shafts with foliated sandstone capitals; above this a large traceried window of 5 cusped lights with quatrefoils and cinquefoils in the head; left of gable is a narrow turret topped by an octagonal arcaded lantern with a spirelet; right is tall square 4-stage tower which has ashlar bands, arched doorway with 4 orders of moulding, a cinquefoil in each side, 2 very narrow lancets, tall belfry with coupled lancets, pierced parapet with shafted octagonal pinnacles, and octagonal spire with lucarnes. Four bay nave has triple windows, aisles have 2-light windows with cinquefoil tracery. Large transepts with lancets. Various offices at north end. Interior altered. (History: see R.J.V. Wylie The Baptist Churches of Accrington and District 1923)

Listing NGR: SD7588328515

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183806

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wylie, R J V , The Baptist Churches of Accrington and District, (1923)

End of official listing