Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073005

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967



Ordnance survey map of COPYHOLD FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 10:21:29.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Wrightington

National Grid Reference: SD 53988 13821


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WRIGHTINGTON CARR HOUSE LANE(off) SD 51 SW 5/91 Copyhold Farmhouse

22-2-1967 II

House. 1659 with C19 alterations. Brick on sandstone rubble plinth with sandstone dressings, and stone slate roof now coated with bitumen. Lobby- entry plan with 2-storey porch and with cross-wing at right (north-east). 2 storeys with attic. To the left of the porch there is a blocked window on each floor. Between them is a lozenge pattern in projecting bricks. To the right of the porch there is a tall C19 window with plain reveals on each floor. The front wall of the cross-wing is of one bay and has been rebuilt in sandstone. The windows have plain stone surrounds except for an attic window which has plain reveals. The porch has a 1st floor window with plain reveals and a doorway with plain brick reveals and a stone lintel inscribed: 'OHM 1659'. At the rear an outshut has a blocked 2-light brick-mullioned window. The rear wall of the cross-wing has 4 windows with brick labels.

Interior: The housepart contains a large decorative plaster wall panel in deep relief covering much of the cross-wall at the upper end, opposite the former firehood. The area covered in some 10ft in width by 8ft in height and consists of a bold design of a central fleur-de-lys in a cartouche flanked by cornucopiae with a human face at the bottom and what appears to be a crude animal head at the top. To L and R of this are decorated urns with pendants, both topped by fleurs, with vines emerging from the urns to fill the field between the major features. There are human heads in profile beneath the central design. The vines extend from the L urn across the adjacent doors to the staircase lobby and rear entrance, but are interrupted by a modern inserted timber wall. The main design descends from ceiling height to a depth of 4ft 2ins with a panelled frieze 1ft 11ins deep below, which is 1ft 10ins above floor level. The whole is well-preserved, and a rare survival. Other interior points: two spiral newel staircases; 1/4 round beams.

Listing NGR: SD5398813821


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357867

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing