This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOUGLAS BANK FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOUGLAS BANK FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1073025

Location

DOUGLAS BANK FARMHOUSE, LEES LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wrightington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357901

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WRIGHTINGTON SD50NW LEES LANE 1283-/10/10009 Douglas Bank Farmhouse 07/01/52 - II

Formerly known as Fisher's House. Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1656 on porch; altered, renovated and slightly enlarged c.1973. Very unusual combination of materials: coursed squared sandstone facade with sides and rear of handmade red brick in English garden wall bond (3+1); stone slate roof and brick chimneys. H-plan with one-bay baffle-entry hall-range and 2-bay crosswings, a porch coupled with the east wing and a stair-turret coupled with the rear of the west wing. Two storeys and attic, 1:1:2 windows, with a high moulded plinth. The porch has a Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround (eroded), a recessed square datestone over the doorway with raised lettering F H M 1656 and a double-chamfered cross-window above with damaged hoodmould. Otherwise, both floors have double-chamfered mullioned windows, all with 4 lights except that at ground floor of the hall-range which has 5 lights, and all with cavetto-moulded hoodmoulds except that at 1st floor of the hall-range; and the gables of wings have small attic windows (one-light, blocked, to the left, 2 lights to the right with a hoodmould. The east wing has a downspout with rainwater head lettered H F 1715 Ridge chimney in line with porch; side-wall chimney to west wing. The left return wall of the west wing has 2 large C20 windows at ground floor and C20 wooden mullion windows above (2 and 4 lights). The right-hand return wall of the east wing has a long panel of diapering in raised headers, and brick labels over 2 blocked or altered windows on each floor. At the rear the east wing has a Tudor-arched doorway with stone lintel and brick label, and one window on each floor above, with labels; the west wing has reduced restored mullion windows on both floors, the lower with a stone hoodmould and the upper with a brick label; and coupled with this wing is a gabled stair-turret which has a glazed door at ground floor, a large wooden cross-window above, and a Greek cross of raised headers in the gable. (A C20 barbecue chimney now overlaps this turret, and between the wings is a shallow 2-storey flat-roofed addition of c.1973, trying to be sympathetic and failing). INTERIOR: housepart has inglenook with chamfered bressummer, and 2 axial beams, the front one with 2 large iron rings fixed in it (associated with loom?); lateral partition removed from west wing, but Tudor-arched parlour fireplace and lateral beam in former front parlour, and 2 axial beams in former rear dairy survive (the outer of the latter beams with 2 large iron hooks fixed in it (associated with slaughtering?). HISTORY: built by Henry Fisher, yeoman, and his wife Margaret. Combined use of brick and stone unique in this area for this period. [Reference: private report and survey by Garry Miller, 1987.]

Listing NGR: SD5210508485

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52105 08485

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 08:46:26.

End of official listing