This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1073074

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, B 5269

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Inskip-with-Sowerby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 43 NE INSKIP-WITH-SOWERBY B5269

8/13 Church of St. Peter 17-4-1967 - II

Church, 1848 by J.E. Gregan, with chancel and tower added in 1925 by Austin and Paley. Original church of squared rock-faced limestone with sandstone dressings and slate roof; additions mainly in sandstone. Comprises a nave, lower chancel, south porch, and a north transept with a tower to its west. West wall of 2 bays, having buttresses with offsets and lancet windows with angle shafts. Above is a wheel window with shafts as spokes and a bellcote with trefoiled opening and cross finial. The south-western buttress contains a flue which terminates in a louvre with gablets and lancet openings. The south nave wall is of 4 bays to the east of the porch and has chamfered lancets separated by buttresses. To the west of the porch is a double lancet window. On the north side are 5 nave bays. The tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, broached to a spire. The bell openings are of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with trefoil. The spire has gablets on 4 sides with lancet openings. The 3 south chancel windows are similar to the bell openings. The east window has 3 stepped lancets with angle shafts. Interior. The nave has 5 roof trusses, carried on corbels and with arch-braced collars and short king posts. The chancel has a barrel roof with one king-post truss with raised tie beam. The chancel arch is chamfered in 2 orders, with moulded imposts and semi-octagonal responds. The east window has moulded pointed inner arches and attached shafts.

Listing NGR: SD4630237931

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 46302 37931

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073074 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2018 at 06:33:30.

End of official listing