BARN CIRCA 5 METRES EAST OF HOLMESWOOD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073128

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1968

Statutory Address: BARN CIRCA 5 METRES EAST OF HOLMESWOOD HALL, THE MARSHES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN CIRCA 5 METRES EAST OF HOLMESWOOD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 04:06:14.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN CIRCA 5 METRES EAST OF HOLMESWOOD HALL, THE MARSHES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Tarleton

National Grid Reference: SD 42245 17453

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TARLETON THE MARSHES LANE SD 41 NW Holmeswood 6/64 Barn c.5 metres east of - Holmeswood Hall

GV II

Barn. Probably C18, but incorporating some earlier fabric, including plaque dated 1568; altered. Handmade brick on chamfered stone plinth, and some dressed stone at north end; stone slate roof. Three bays on north-south axis, with a narrower bay at the north end (possibly remains of part of earlier house); the east side, facing the road, has a segmental-headed wagon entrance (former porch demolished), some diamond-pattern breathers in the wall to the right; and at the right-hand end the narrower part is built of large rectangular sandstone blocks up to mid-level (this continues round north gable and west side of this end). The principal feature of interest is the south gable wall, which has a recessed 4-light stone mullioned window with chamfered mullions, hollow-moulded surround, and a hoodmould; and in the gable above (which is slightly set back) a carved stone plaque with the Hesketh double-headed eagle (as at Rufford Old Hall), (q.v.) and Martholme, Great Harwood CP, Hyndburn District), and above this a roundel with ropework surround containing a stylised letter "T". Reference: VCH Lancs VI pp.116-7

Listing NGR: SD4224517453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357767

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906), 116-117

End of official listing