Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073172.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:55:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rutland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 86552 99594


SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM 4/4 10.11.55 Uppingham School: Library GV II*

Library, formerly hospital and chapel. 1584, altered and extended C19 and C20, including work by T G Jackson and Oliver Hill. Of coursed squared ironstone with Collyweston stone slate roofs and coped gables with finials. Two parallel ranges, running east-west, the south range originally the hospital and the north range (now taller) on the site of the chapel and presumably incorporating stonework from it. South front one storey and attic. Plinth and ovolo-moulded cornice. Ground floor has 1 and 2-light stone mullioned windows, mostly ovolo-moulded but the 3 westernmost windows are C19 replacements and chamfered. The westernmost 2 also have transoms. Five 2-light dormers beneath coped gables with finials of varying design. Leaded panels to window. East end has a 3-light C19 window with transom, and a c.1968 one room flat-roofed canted extension lit by a 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window. Interior gutted, reroofed and converted to library c.1890 by T G Jackson, has Jacobean revival fireplace at west end and decorative plasterwork to the vaulted ceiling. North range, now 5 windows wide and one lofty storey, has a west end stack and an ogee Gothick cupola with weathervane dated 1825, marking a rebuilding and heightening. The final bay, east of a buttress, and the canted east end stair turret with gable on decorative kneelers, date from c.1890 (but reusing old stones, some carved with names and initials by pupils). Tall rectangular windows, with slightly convex leaded panes. Doorway to west in 4-centred hollow-chamfered arch (beneath carved vesica and memorial inscription) leads into World War II Memorial by Oliver Hill, a full-height barrel-vaulted space lined and floored with patterned marble, niche to south with names of fallen and pedimented doorway to east leading into north range of library with "stripped classical" panelling and gallery to south. Hospital and chapel founded by Robert Johnson, Archdeacon of Leicester, at the same time as the school. During the C18 the school took over the hospital building as a boarding house, and at first used the chapel as a dining hall.

Listing NGR: SP8655299594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15331/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].