CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1073229
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:22:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Market Overton
National Grid Reference:
SK 88589 16453

Details

MARKET OVERTON

SK 81 NE CHURCH LANE (West side)

2/97 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 14.6.54

GV I

Church mainly of C14 but with Anglo-Saxon arch. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble stone with part parapetted, part Collyweston slate roof with stone coped gables. W tower, nave aisles, chancel, NE vestry and S transept and porch. Tower of 3 stages, coursed squared rubble stone to N and S, ashlar to E and W. Plinth. Dec W window with blocked W door below, sundial on S wall said to have been placed by Isaac Newton, 4 Dec bell openings, gargoyles, and possibly restored cornice and battlements. W arch to nave Anglo-Saxon : 'This is the only worthwhile piece of Anglo-Saxon architecture in the County (of Rutland). Jambs of very large,stones the imposts of the arch, unmoulded blocks' (Pevsner), 3 bay similar N and S arcades. Double chamfered arches over octagonal piers and responds. Hood moulds and label stops. Clerestory of 4 windows, N flat-topped Dec, and S pointed arch Dec, but for S E late Perp. Outside, windows have hood moulds and label stops, and clerestory has ball flower frieze. Parapet above and to chancel, and small sanctus bell-cote over chancel arch. 4 bay restored low-pitch tie beam roof, the wall pieces and bracesion wooden corbels. In N aisle Dec NW and NE windows, the NE open to organ chamber. Flat-topped N window with Reticulated tracery and blocked N door. Outside, buttresses with set-offs and head and ball-flower frieze. N organ chamber and NE vestry both probably of 1858. Chancel arch similar to arcades but inner chamfer hollow. Chancel rebuilt 1858. 2 windows with Curvilinear type tracery, 1 with stained glass of c1882. Similar E window of 1868 with stained glass. 3 bay C19 roof with curved braces to curved collar on carved corbels. In S transept SE window with stained glass of c1887 and S window restored Dec.S doorway arch with thin shafts and many mouldings and oak 6 panelled door with inscription dated 1756. S porch arch has keeled responds and the aisle a ball flower frieze. Inside a fine series of C18 wall monuments which continue ouside on S transept walls and monument of 1695 on E wall of chancel. Font a combination of early English and Norman capitals; C19 pulpit and carved oak reredos and choir stalls. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK8858916453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186667
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
'Whites Directory' in Leicestershire and Rutland, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08960/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jake Young. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].