COLLEGE HOUSE SANATORIUM AT OAKHAM SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073308
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
SANATORIUM AT OAKHAM SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073308.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:18:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
SANATORIUM AT OAKHAM SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oakham
National Grid Reference:
SK 86017 08842

Details

SK 8608 CHURCH STREET (East side) 587/6/30 College House

08.05.50 II*

Includes: SANATORIUM AT OAKHAM SCOOL, CHURCH STREET. Former Vicarage, now sanitorium. c1330, altered C17 and C18, with C20 modernisation. A rambling 2-storey building in coursed stone, C17 incorporating a probably earlier building. Stone slate roof. Rusticated quoins. Central gable with 1 window and 2 windows each side, flat wood lintels, hung sashes. All C18 fenestration. A good deal of modern restoration. INTERIOR has very rare and well preserved medieval roof structure which has been dendro-dated to between 1319 and 1339. The roof has 4 crown posts each with side braces supporting central beam supporting collars, each pair of rafters has a linking collar with supporting braces. This very unusual roof structure appears to be largely intact and unaltered though it has some modern strengthening timbers. This building is listed at a high grade because of its surviving medieval roof structure.



Listing NGR: SK8601708842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186467
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03513/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tomalin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].