CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1073414
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 04:05:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Pendle (District Authority)
Parish:
Colne
National Grid Reference:
SD8889740125

Details

SD 84 SE COLNE CHURCH STREET (north side)

7/85 Church of St Bartholomew

GV I Church. Mainly early C16. Nave, chancel, lean-to south aisle and double north aisle under M roof, west tower. Tower has moulded plinth, and offset angle buttresses to western corners. Pointed arched west door and 3-light window above, flanked by 4 shields. 3-light pointed transomed belfry windows. Square south east stair turret and oversailing embattled parapet. South aisle has straight-headed windows of 4 arched lights with hoodmoulds, 3-light clerestory windows. The last bay of the nave aisle has a large pointed 3-light window under a gable. East window of 5 lights with rectilinear tracery. North aisle has uncusped tracery to various 3- and 2-light windows, and a pointed 4-light window to gabled organ-loft. South porch is gabled and embattled with large cubical sundial on apex. It protects a doorway with pointed head and quarter-round moulded surround, probably C14, and 3 tombstones now attached to the wall, including that of Richard Horsfall of Malsis d.1644. Semi-circular mounting block attached to porch. Interior: Nave has north arcade of early C13, 4 bays with round columns and semi-circular responds. South arcade on octagonal columns. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave roof of 6 bays, alternating moulded tie-beam trusses and arch-braced collars, all with collars braced to ridge, and small cusped wind braces. Chancel roof of 5 bays elaborates this pattern, with the arched braces rising from short hammer-beams. 3-bay chancel arcade on octagonal columns. Two north aisles have arch-braced collar roofs. Concave-sides early C16 octagonal font with symbols of Passion and initials LT (Laurence Townley). Good late C19 pews, chancel and parclose screens, pulpit, the chancel aisle screens being C16. Wall monuments to Christopher and John Emmott, 1746, a scrolled tablet surmounted by a bust and a medallion, and Richard Emmott, 1761, a putto holding a shield.

Listing NGR: SD8889740125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
186226
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13401/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].