CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073482
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, PLUMPTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:24:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, PLUMPTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodplumpton
National Grid Reference:
SD 49934 34445

Details

SD 43 SE WOODPLUMPTON PLUMPTON LANE

6/132 Church of St. Anne 11.11.1966 GV II*

Parish church. Part medieval, part late C15 or early C16, repaired or re-roofed 1639, part early-to mid-C18; restored 1900. Sandstone and gritstone, roof of slate and stone slate. Nave with north and south aisles forming a parallelogram under 3 parallel roofs of approximately equal height, with west tower (C18) and north-east vestry (C20), This unusual arrangement is probably the result of successive additions to the south of the church of c.1300: a south aisle in the late C15 or early C16, which then became the nave when another aisle was built on its south side shortly afterwards; these additions altered externally in the C18, when the tower was added. South aisle of gritstone ashlar with sandstone dressings, 6 bays, in classical style, has clasping pilasters, sillband, entablature and moulded cornice, and embattled parapet of an earlier wall; in the 1st and 5th bays round-headed doorways with moulded imposts, blocked keystones, straight moulded cornices on blocked consoles; in the other bays 4 round-headed 2-light windows with Y-tracery, plain jambs and heads, blocked imposts and keystones, between 1st and 2nd windows a large incised sundial, and lettering on the frieze above "SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI"; east end of this aisle has a similar window, west end has a louvred 2-light opening in similar style. North aisle, the earliest part of the building, of intermixed red and yellow sandstone blocks, has a door and 3 windows (the easternmost now in the vestry and reduced to its chamfered reveal): doorway at west end, c.1400, has a pointed arched sunk-chamfered surround with paterae (flowers, fish, cross, letter M); early C14 window of 2 trefoiled lights with a rounded trefoil in the head; and further east a chamfered rectangular window of 2 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels; the outline of lower gables at both ends indicates that the roof has been raised or rebuilt, the east gable has a low 4-centred-arched 3-light window with a hoodmould, and the west gable has a modern 4-light rectangular window in Gothic style. Nave has modern 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. Tower, set towards the north side of the west gable of the nave and rising only to that height, is square, partly embraced by the gable wall, has a round-headed window with Gibbs surround, a square former clock face at the top of the south side, a moulded cornice, and bears an octagonal lantern with an open arch in each face, surmounted by a small stone dome with a weathervane. Interior: north arcade of 5 wide 2-centred arches chamfered in 2 orders on octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases, the 2nd arch from the west end with remains of black and white chevron painting and the 3rd with red and white bands; south arcade slightly different and less regular, the piers higher and the caps deeper; north aisle has C17 collar truss roof, the tie-beams ovolo-moulded, and one at the east end inscribed "1639"; same aisle has large carved wall monument to Henry Foster d.1831, navigator and astronomer, drowned in Mexico; fragments of C12 masonry displayed in former window now in vestry; parts of C18 box pews re-used as dado, some dated. Reference: VCH Lancs.

Listing NGR: SD4993434445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185979
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11037/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].