THE STONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1073524

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: THE STONE HOUSE, WHITTINGHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STONE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:31:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE STONE HOUSE, WHITTINGHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

Parish: Broughton

National Grid Reference: SD 53132 35402

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53 NW BROUGHTON WHITTINGHAM LANE

4/26 The Stone House

II

House, 1911, by R. Mangnall Bluhm, for A.T.R. Houghton. Snecked sandstone, stone slate roof. Roughly L-plan: 3-bay range facing south, with long receding east wing embracing a shorter rear extension. Two storeys in C17 vernacular style (said to be imitating Old Rectory of Wooton-by-Woodford, Gloucestershire), with steeply-pitched roof, gables and gablets, mullioned windows (some also transomed). Garden front has set-back centre bridged at 1st floor by timber framing with a central gableted oriel and a balcony to the right of this (former loggia beneath now altered), flanked by gabled bays with transomed windows at ground floor, mullioned above, and loop lights in the gables; right return wall has inter alia a 6-light transomed stairlight, and a canted bay window. At the rear the extension incorporating the porch has a doorway with architrave and cornice; the roof of the service wing terminates in a bell gable, and a pitched roof at lower level links the gable wall with various outbuildings, including a stable with loft approached by external steps. Interior: the principal feature of interest is the staircase, which was taken from the Castle Inn in Preston (demolished c.1910): this is dog-legged, has closed string, panelled newel posts, turned barley sugar balusters, broad moulded handrail, and probably dates from c.1700.

Listing NGR: SD5313235402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185873

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing