WHITWORTH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1073552
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
WHITWORTH HOUSE, 1, WHITWORTH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITWORTH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:20:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITWORTH HOUSE, 1, WHITWORTH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Rossendale (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitworth
National Grid Reference:
SD 88664 17676

Details

SD 81 NE 11/262

WHITWORTH, WHITWORTH SQUARE, No. 1 (Whitworth House)

29.7.1966

GV II

House, later C18, with added wing at east end probably early C19, now 2 dwellings (under one address). Coursed sandstone with quoins, rusticated quoins to wing, slate roofs on 2 levels, hipped and low-pitched over wing, chimneys at left gable, on the ridge, and at each end of wing. L-shaped plan: original house double-depth, 2 bays, with 3rd bay added to right; projecting 2-bay double-depth wing to right. Two storeys, the wing higher. Between 1st and 2nd bays a doorway with chamfered surround, on each side coupled tall windows with glazing bars, now top-hung casements; 3rd bay has similar windows less regularly disposed. Left return wall of this part has plain doorway and is slate-hung above ground floor, with coupled sash windows towards the rear. Wing to right has moulded cornice and low parapet, doorway near angle, one window at ground floor and 2 above, all tall with plain surrounds and now top-hung casements with glazing bars; end wall has one window on each floor, rear has round-headed stairlight. Interior: mostly altered, but original C18 fireplace in rear room at ground floor, and doors with fielded panels which may be original. History: home of the "celebrated Whitworth doctors", the first of whom, John Taylor (d1802), was "a farrier who did not confine his surgical operations to horses", specialising in cancer and broken limbs: he was sent for by George III to attend Princess Elizabeth (Henry Fishwick History of Rochdale 1889, p85)

Listing NGR: SD8866417676

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
185841
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fishwick, H, History of Rochdale, (1889), 85

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].