This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

List entry Number: 1073641

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashby-de-la-Zouch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH

913/4/219 MAIN STREET 29-SEP-77 BLACKFORDBY (West side) PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

GV II

Parish church of 1859 by H.I. Stevens

MATERIALS: Coursed, rock-faced sandstone, with graded slate roof.

PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south tower, north vestry.

EXTERIOR: The church is in simple Decorated style. The tower is set back from the west end of the nave and its lower stage is the porch. It is 3-stage with diagonal buttresses and broach spire with lucarnes. The south doorway has a single order of shafts with foliage capitals, and cusped arch with relief foliage in the cusps. Two-light east and west windows have quatrefoil tracery lights. In the middle stage are small pointed quatrefoils beneath clock faces (added in 1920). The upper stage has attached corner shafts and 2-light bell openings with louvres. In the nave are single-light windows either side of the tower, and two 2-light windows further right. The north side has three 2-light windows and in the west wall are 2 single-light windows below a cusped circle, all spanned by a relieving arch. The chancel has diagonal buttresses, 3-light east window with intersecting tracery, two 2-light south windows and a trefoil-headed south doorway. The vestry has a pair of cusped east windows.

INTERIOR: The nave has a 5-bay hammerbeam roof on brackets, incorporating pierced trefoils above and below the beams. The chancel arch has 2 orders of chamfer, of which the inner is on corbelled shafts. The chancel has a canted boarded ceiling, painted blue. The chancel has a 2-bay north arcade with double-chamfered arches and octagonal central pier. One arch is filled by the organ, the other by a wooden screen with Gothic glazing in the arch. Walls are plastered. The floors are paved with stone, including an C18 memorial slab near the font, with raised wood floors below pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: In the vestry is a tablet commemorating the opening of the church. Most fixtures are later additions, except for the benches, which have square ends with moulded tops. The octagonal font is of Chellaston marble. C20 pulpit, choir stalls and communion rail are all decorated with linenfold panelling. An C18 marble tablet is to Edward Newcomen (d 1722) and wife Ann (d 1727). There is a fragment of medieval stained glass in a chancel south window, said to be St Margaret of Antioch. Other windows include St Margaret in the west window (1890) and crucifixion east window (1920).

HISTORY: Built in 1856-58 at a cost of £1673 by H.I. Stevens (1806-73), architect of Derby who built many churches in the East Midlands. It replaced an earlier church, from which an C18 monument and fragment of stained glass were salvaged for installation in the new church.

SOURCES: G. K. Brandwood, Bringing them to their Knees: Church Building and Restoration in Leicestershire and Rutland 1800-1914, 2002, p 78. N. Pevsner (revised E. Williamson), The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p 104. M.J. Penny and R. Timms, St Margaret's Church, Blackfordby, 2009 ed. Lambeth Palace Library, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Margaret, Blackfordby, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a well-proportioned mid C19 parish church of a single unified design and with an accomplished hammerbeam roof. * It is prominently sited within the village and forms a strong group with the adjacent St Margaret's Church of England Primary School and Schoolhouse.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 33052 18132

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 09:17:58.

End of official listing