CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1073732
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:25:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Langham
National Grid Reference:
SK 84367 11205

Details

SK 8411 - 8511 LANGHAM CHURCH STREET

2/155 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 14.6.54

GV I

Large medieval parish church, principally of late C13 - mid C14, with some C15 alterations and conservative restorationsby Ewan Christian and Bodley and Garner in 1876-8 and 1880. Mostly ashlar faced. West tower and spire, nave with aisles and clerestory, S. transept (N. transept demolished in 1802) and transept aisle, chancel. Large and imposing late C13 W. tower of 3 stages, with a large 2-light window to the bell-chamber, with banded shafts and chevron decoration. Broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes, the lowest ornately traceried. S. side of church largely mid C14 in an early perpendicular style, with embattled parapets throughout, and much fine carved detail. Buttressed S. aisle, each buttress capped by a pinnacle, and a frieze of ball flower and other emblems: human heads, beasts etc. Perpendicular style traceried windows. Frieze and parapet continue to the S. porch of the same date, with triple-chamfered archway and a 2-light window with ball flower hoodmoulds, and cross on the gable above. Ironwork over doorway dated 1734. Inside the porch, the main door is a double chamfered arch with niche above, and across the angle above the door, a stone platform, relic of a former parvise. South side of porch continues as transept aisle and transept where the E. side wall is ironstone with freestone courses. Transept aisle has decorated window with ball flower decoration. The S. window of the transept is perpendicular and very large, and the corner pinnacles here proportionately loftier. The frieze over the transept contains figures, beasts, faces, flowers etc., and there is a large and battered gargoyle on the E. wall. Perpendicular clerestory with 2 windows in E. wall of nave, and carved frieze. Chancel is ironstone with ashlar courses and parapet, apparently partially rebuilt, perhaps in later C14 when E. window was inserted.

Spacious and light interior, which continues the traditions of fine carving. Triple chamfered tower arch with nail head decoration to responds. Nave of 4 bays with early C14 arcade, triple chamfered, on octagonal piers. Perpendicular clerestory and roof - cambered trusses on long supports, with pierced spandrels. S. transept and its aisle also early C14, with a good series of carved corbel heads, and C15 cambered trussed roof, and in the S. wall, a trefoiled recess for an altar reredos. N. transept arch survives. Chancel windows mainly perpendicular, but 2 are lancets. E. window has stained glass by J.N. Comper, who also did the glass in S. transept window (1908). Incised slab in transept: 2 praying figures and their children below, John Dickenson and his wife, 1532. Font, plain octagonal bowl on a low base, square with engaged shafts, C14.

Listing NGR: SK8436711205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12658/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].