This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1073761

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rutland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Egleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187305

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 80 NE EGLETON CHURCH ROAD 7/24 Church of St. Edmund 14.6.54 I

Small parish church, basically norman though enlarged and subsequently reduced again in size later. West tower with short spire, nave with clerestory, and chancel. Tower rebuilt late C18. Ashlar, 3 stages with round-arched lights to bell chamber. Parapet, corner pinnacles and spire. In the west wall a C14 traceried window with hoodmould and corbel heads survives. Nave of ironstone rubble with paler sandstone dressings, including quoins and a sill course. Very low pitchedunparapetted roof. Section of line of original roof visible as sandstone string course at springing of arches for present windows. C14 south porch with ogee arched doorway and a worn sundial above it. Rubble stone chancel with ashlar parapet and a tiny priests door. East wall of chancel is of dressed stone in bands, and there is some banding also to the north wall, which also contains some ashlar work and is very irregular in build.

North side of nave is buttressed and shows early C14 arcade infilled with ashlar. Line of original roof, and possible beam ends of this roof between the arcade arches.

The south door is C12, exuberantly and copiously carved, basket work and intolace to the shafts, decorated capitals and abaci and a very lively and richly carved tynpanum, within an arch supported on two beasts heads where 2 winged creatures support a wheel-like emblem with 6 petal-like spokes. Inside, the chancel arch is in a similarly vigorous style, the arch itself, a simple double chamfered semi-circule, perhaps later, but the shafts, capitals and abaci again ornate with basket weave, foliate interlace, beading etc., each side different.

The west tower arch is blocked, triple chamfered like the blocked north arcade. Internal face of S. door is tall, narrow and plain. South windows are large, C15, with double ranks of foiled lights. A single clerestory window above. North wall has 3-light C15 windows in the blocking of the arcade, and 4 clerestory windows above, in angular surrounds. Between the windows, crudely carved grotesques represent the corbels of the original roof, beasts and human figures. Door to rood, and squint survive in east wall of nave, and over the chancel arch are painted the arms of George III and a single surviving figure (Moses or Aaron?). Chancel windows are large and C15, those on north differing from those on south, and from each other. East window contains stained glass of 1875.

Various Cl8 wall tombstones in chancel. The C13 font is square on central and 4 corner shafts, C11 chamfered. A low relief cross or rosette adorns each side, and slight pilasters mark the angles. Against the blocked west tower opening, part of a C15 wood screen survives with paired lights, an ogee arched doorway, and traceried panels. 4 old bench ends also survive but the church was reseated in 1875. Painted boards of the Commandments 'Our Father' and 'Creed' in porch.

Listing NGR: SK8759407535

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 87594 07535

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 07:32:02.

End of official listing