CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1073794
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:57:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burley
National Grid Reference:
SK 88303 10215

Details

SK 81 SE BURLEY CHURCH LANE 3/12 Church of the Holy 14.6.54 Cross II*

Medieval Parish Church of Norman origin, renewed and restored extensively by J.L. Pearson 1869-70. Coursed rubble of various builds. West tower, nave with aisles and clerestory, aisled chancel. Buttressed tower of early C14, 3 steps with tall 2-tier traceried openings to bell chambers and decorated west window. Embattled parapet and huge gargoyles, complete figures of men and beasts, at each angle. Nave of 4 bays with parapet to clerestory and eastern coped gable with cross. N. doorway in a porch by Pearson, buttressed, with coped gables and overhanging eaves. Double chamfered archway with continuous shaft. Aisles rebuilt by Pearson in fine masonry with string course and projecting eaves. All the aisle and clerestory window tracery by Pearson, flat-headed windows with heavy foiled tracery pattern. He completely rebuilt the chancel, which, with its aisles is the full width of the nave, wider on the south, with a single sweeping tiled roof with cresting, coped gable with eastern cross, and overhanging eaves. On its north wall, a good high Victorian cottage-style chimney to cellar-boiler room, and alongside it, a priests doorway. Interior has norman north arcade of 3 bays with circular piers with leafy volutes and square abaci. One of these piers consists of 2 shafts engaged against a squared column. The south arcade is late C13, double chamfered arches on circular piers and with some nailhead decorated capitals. King- post and strut roof. Chancel arch by Pearson, with engaged shaft springing from midway up, rather than ground level. Very low chancel screen of pierced stone. Chancel arcades of 3 bays on circular piers. East window by Clayton & Bell, c1870. West window, by Westlake, late C15 alabaster monument with 2 effigies the male figure multilated. Memorial to Charlotte Finch, d.1820, by Chantrey, in S. aisle. Perpendicular font: octagonal with traceried panels and frieze faces etc. Light fittings: coronae lucis, probably by Pearson.

Listing NGR: SK8830310215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
187294
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12580/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].