Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of NEWBOLD VERDON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 21:57:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Newbold Verdon
National Grid Reference:
SK 44217 03817


NEWBOLD VERDON MAIN STREET SK 40 SW (west side) 5/36 Newbold Verdon Hall 22.10.52 G.V. I

Former country house, now farmhouse. c. 1700 with later C19 addition, and minor C19 and C20 alterations. Built for Nathaniel Crew, 3rd Baron Crew of Stene, Northants, Bishop of Durham from 1674, d. 1721. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings, large hipped plain tiled roof with lead dressings and flat top, 4 brick roof stacks with triple shafts and brick cornice. Double pile symmetrical plan of 5 by 3 bays. 2 storeys plus raised basement and attic, stone string courses to ground and first floors, overhanging eaves with moulded wood cornice and lined soffit. All windows have rubbed brick flat arches and projecting stone cills. The entrance (east) and garden (west) fronts are arranged 1 : 3 : 1 the centre bays projecting slightly; the side elevations are similarly arranged 1 : 1 : 1. The entrance front has central early C20 double panelled doors with rectangular overlight, approached up a flight of 8 stone steps, set in a pedimented Gibbsian surround with small shield on the keystone. It is flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes, those either side of the doorway have been lowered. The first floor central glazing bar sash is flanked by a single blocked opening and a further matching sash window. The garden front has a grassed ramp with curved stone coped brick side walls leading to the central doorway, now filled with a glazing bar sash window with panel beneath. The doorway has a stone moulded architrave and is flanked by Ionic half columns supporting a pedimented entablature with pulvinated frieze. It is flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes. To first floor 3 glazing bar sashes are flanked by single blocked openings. To the left of the central projection is a narrow inserted C20 sash. The south side has a central doorway with moulded stone surround and cornice, now blocked by a sash window. Beneath is a semi circular headed doorway to the basement. To the right a blocked opening and to the left a glazing bar sash. To the first floor 2 blocked openings and a further sash. The north side is similar but now partly obscured by the later extension. Interior. The central stone paved entrance hall has a dais up three steps opposite to the entrance which gives access to a lateral passage via 3 round headed arches. The room to the right, a parlour, has full height fielded oak panelling, and a cupboard with marble shelves has been inserted into the west wall. Adjacent to this room, reached from the lateral passage, is the secondary staircase with turned balusters. The principal staircase, reached from the south end of the passage, has an open well with the upper landing supported by a pair of Ionic columns. The oak staircase has a pulvinated string, richly carved with wreathed bands, sturdy vasiform balusters, carved handrail and square newels carved with laurel leaves. The plaster ceiling over has a coved cornice richly moulded in the form of a frieze of garlands. A similar cornice can be found in the first floor saloon above the entrance hall. Most rooms retain their original oak panelled doors and architraves, plaster cornices, and some contemporary bolection moulded fireplaces also remain. The house stands just to the north of a moated site which surrounded the earlier manor house. It is approached from the end of the village Main Street through a long axial forecourt defined by three of formerly four pavilions, one in each corner of the court.

Listing NGR: SK4421703817


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].