CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1074102
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 07:55:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 56141 28121

Details

SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH BROW

5/113 Church of St. Leonard 24.3.1950 GV II*

Church; late medieval tower and chancel (the latter restored 1864) the rest 1902-06 by John Pollard Seddon. Stone, slate roof. West tower, nave with deep double transepts, low chancel. Perpendicular style throughout. 4-stage tower has angle buttresses, west door with moulded arch and above this a 3 light arched window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, attached octagonal clockface on west side, arched 3-light belfry louvres with perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds on all sides; dripmould and embattled parapet. Chancel has chamfered plinth, a 3-light arched east window with perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, a window on each side with 3 cusped lights under a depressed arch, and on the south side a priests door with moulded arch and hoodmould. Between these is the building of 1904-06: a nave of 2 bays with double transepts which are so deep as to give the interior effectively a north-south rather than east-west axis; externally these parts are of smoothly dressed stone, with buttresses, embattled parapet, and 3-light windows with perpendicular tracery. Internally, nave and transepts are lofty, with open roof structure, ashlar walls of Runcorn sandstone, arches without capitals; chancel arch rises to ridge of the chancel, exposing kingpost roof trusses, and the wall above has blank Perpendicular panelling. North wall of chancel has plaster panel with arms of Assheton family of Cuerdale Hall (q.v.) and Downham, dated 1634; south wall has similar but undated panel with De Hoghton arms, and various memorial tablets to the same family. History: parochial chapel of Blackburn until 1837, first built in C12, rebuilt 1798, with transepts added in 1816; nave and transepts demolished and rebuilt on similar lines 1902-06, at cost of £10,383 (c. £7,500 paid by Calvert family, millowners in Walton le Dale). (VCH Lancs; Pevsner; F. Coupe Walton le Dale, 1954; J.B. Selvey A Pictorial History of Walton le Dale Parish Church 1971)

Listing NGR: SD5614128121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358018
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coupe, F, Walton le Dale, (1954)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)
Selvey, J B , A Pictoral History of Walton le Dale Parish Church, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00114/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].