Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:57:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Ribble (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 59305 26532



5/125 No. 325 (Arrowsmith House) 24.3.1950 - II*

House, dated 1700 on porch but substantially earlier. Whitewashed stone with some brick, steeply pitched roof of corrugated sheet covering thatch with boxed eaves, one ridge chimney and one gable chimney. Four-bay baffle-entry plan, gable to road. Two storeys; irregular masonry with plinth and quoins; 2-storey gabled porch at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays, doorway offset to left, with hoodmould, moulded jambs and head, and at lst floor a 2-light stone mullion window lettered on the head "17 + OO" with a hoodmould above. Front windows are small, irregular and various, but include to the left of the porch at ground floor 2 small square- mullioned windows, of 3 and 2 lights, and at lst floor under the eaves a similar window with 6 small lights; and, to the right, 4- and 2-light wooden casements of unequal size, with a small 4-light casement under the eaves. End and rear walls have other stone mullion windows: 3 at the left, one at the right, and 2 at the back (one under the eaves) where there are also various other windows and a rear porch with monopitched roof and side door. Interior: exceptionally complete survival of original features, including back-to-back inglenook fireplaces, ceiling beams, timber framed partitions, doors, and spiral newel stair. History: a modern plaque over the door states that according to tradition Saint Edmund Arrowsmith S.J., who was martyred at Lancaster in 1628, offered mass in this house. An upper room is still used for this purpose.

Listing NGR: SD5930526532


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00114/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].