UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074117

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1993

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, HOUGH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:31:08.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALLS, HOUGH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 54294 22349

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: SD 52 SW LEYLAND HOUGH LANE (north side)

119-/8/10000 United Reformed Church and attached walls

II

Nonconformist Church, School and Hall. 1874-1877, by David Grant. Padiham stone, crockfaced; dressed Longridge stone to openings; brick and stone to church rooms at the rear. Interior woodwork, including the roof, of pitch pine. Slate roofs. High Victorian Gothic style. Oriented on a north-south axis; all directions given below are ritual. Shallow apse to east with plaster rib vaulting and simply molded chancel arch. Vestries for minister and choir to either side. Broad, undivided nave with trilobed, boarded roof of four bays; chamfered tie beam spanning central lobe of roof. West gallery carried on cast-iron columns. West saddleback tower (with tower arch to nave gallery), its roof of exceptionally steep pitch; vestibule to north and vestibule-cum-stair tower to south, the two latter have polygonal roofs. Nave returns with setback buttress to each bay and single lancet. Two facing gable ranges to church halls at the rear, the first a schoolroom with two adult classrooms and the eastmost with an infants' classroom and additional room. Separate entrances to schools allowed minister and choir access to vestries directly from the east end. Interior: Many furnishings of original design, including, panelling, pews, door surrounds, and gallery front. Of special note is the organ set in the shallow apse with choir stalls on a low dais demarcated from the nave by a wood and metal rail; these latter built by Andrew Tomlinson; large wood pulpit to northeast of good quality wood, possibly figured walnut. Windows glazed with tinted cathedral glass. Also included are the Padiham stone walls enclosing the forecourt and a square stone lamp base immediately west of the main entrance. The west elevation is a highly mannered and inventive design that is strongly asymmetrical. David Grant (born in 1846) was a well-regarded Nonconformist architect and secretary of the Leyland Church building committee. During the time of construction he was resident in Leyland. By 1874 he had set up offices in Preston.

Listing NGR: SD5429422349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358046

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing