FORMER LIBRARY AND NUMBER 5

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074233

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1979

Statutory Address: FORMER LIBRARY AND NUMBER 5, 3 AND 5, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LIBRARY AND NUMBER 5
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 12:24:21.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER LIBRARY AND NUMBER 5, 3 AND 5, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 42646 93764

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 4293 NE TOWN OF HINCKLEY STATION ROAD (east side) 16/56 No 3 (Former Library) and 8.2.79 No 5

GV II

Library of 1888 built to the designs of Isaac Barradale of Leicester and combining Arts and Crafts details with elements of William and Mary inspiration. The adjoining Council Offices were added in 1903 by the Town Surveyor F.C. Cook in a sympathetic but less original style. Red brick with restrained ashlar dressings, and steeply pitched plain tile roofs with stepped gable parapets incorporating chimney stacks. The library to the left is of one and 2-storeys. Twin narrow stepped gables linked by a miniature arch mark. The 3 window bays to the right, the windows being contained through two storeys by narrow arched recesses. The left hand (north) end has a similar but taller gable above the entrance with a terracotta architrave and "Free Library" inscribed in an Arts and Crafts script. The left and right hand gables are separated by a square bay with mullioned and transomed window. Lower twin gables of similar design to the left hand return with the unusual but sensitively detailed feature of shallow concave swept buttresses to the corner. A single-storey range of close-set segmental arched windows extends to the rear, lighting the former lending room and terminating in another stepped gable break. Decorative details are restrained and sharply detailed in brick; string courses, narrow keystones and vertical fillets with ashlar scrolled consoles as kneelers to the gables. 2 storey council offices to the right with shaped gables, arcaded windows, fluted brick pilasters and a central entrance with segmental pediment, and fanlight.

Listing NGR: SP4264693764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188186

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing