Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:03:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Blaby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 54083 97538


NARBOROUGH CHURCH LANE SP 59 NW 7/50 Church of All Saints 7.10.57 GV II*

Parish church. C15; chancel rebuilt 1883 by F Bacon in C13 style, with north vestry and south organ chamber; remainder much restored 1865 and 1883; C19 south porch. Granite rubble, limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave and aisles, Swith- land slate roofs to chancel, vestry and organ chamber. West tower, nave, aisles south porch, chancel, vestry and organ-chamber. West tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, restored battlemented parapet and carved gargoyles at corners. Bell-chamber openings are arched with 2 traceried lights; middle stage has small rectangular windows; west front has 2-light window with ogee tracery, and moulded arched door. Nave and aisles have parapets with moulded battlements, and rainwater heads dated 1883. 5-bay clerestory of cusped 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads. Larger similar windows to aisles, all with restored carved head stops to hoodmoulds. C15 south door with 4-centred arch, traceried spandrels, moulded rectangular surround and carved head stops. C19 gabled south porch with moulded arch and 3-light traceried side windows. Small blocked north door with moulded arch. Chancel has cusped eaves corbelling on south side, and 2 bays of 2-light south windows with cusped plate tracery, shafts and dogtooth mouldings. Large 4-light traceried east window with vent and gablet above, and gabled buttress below. Organ chamber in angle between chancel and south aisle has plate-traceried 2-light window to south and high set of triple lancets in east wall. Lean-to north vestry with lancet windows. Interior: double-chamfered arch to tower; 6-bay nave arcades with chamfered arches and shafted piers, the slender shafts facing nave and aisles carried up on nave side as wall shafts; C19 roofs to nave and aisles; arched piscina and double sedilia in south aisle; C19 arches to vestry and organ chamber. Large C19 chancel arch with roll-moulding on shafts. Chancel has cusped arch and doorway to north vestry, both with carved ornament, and similar uncusped arch to organ chamber. Cusped north piscina; south east window with internal tracery screen and window- seat sedilia. Fittings: C15 octagonal stone font with traceried panels; C19 wrought-iron screen on stone dwarf walls; C19 wooden pulpit on base with study marble shafts and stiff-leaf capitals; C19-C20 carved and gilt wooden reredos; late C19 stained glass, the east window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1883. Some C18 and C19 wall tablets. (Pevsner and Williamson, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p.328. V N and R P Jarrett, The History of Narborough and Littlethorpe).

Listing NGR: SP5408397538


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Jarrett, V N, R P, , The History of Narborough and Littlethorpe
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 328


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].