REMAINS OF ST MARYS VICARAGE (THE CHANTRY BUILDING)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074793

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1975

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF ST MARYS VICARAGE (THE CHANTRY BUILDING), THE NEWARKE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF ST MARYS VICARAGE (THE CHANTRY BUILDING)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:11:03.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF ST MARYS VICARAGE (THE CHANTRY BUILDING), THE NEWARKE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 58260 04025

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/09/2014

SK 5804 SW 2/301 5304

THE NEWARKE (South Side), Remains of St Mary's Vicarage (The Chantry Building)

(Formerly listed as Remains of St Mary's Vicarage (Store at Portland Shoe Factory))

II

Probably originally C14 though subsequently much altered. Believed to have been built to accommodate the Dean or one of the Canons of the College of the Annunciation of St Mary which was dissolved in 1547. Became St Mary's Vicarage in the late C17. Before its virtual demolition in 1949 it was a three-storey three-window stone house with slate gable-ended roof, rectangular window openings with wood mullion/tansom and leaded panes. All that remains is the ground floor stage: coursed masonry, rectangular on plan, central pointed archway, rectangular window each side, C19 fenestration with four-centred headed lights. The other elevation are patched with modern brickwork. 



Listing NGR: SK5826004025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 188753

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing