Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074871 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:01:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
Owston and Newbold
National Grid Reference:
SK 77446 07964



SK 70 NE MAIN STREET (West Side)

2/78 Church of St. Andrew



Parish church, fragment of former Priory. Partially C13 or earlier, with some early C14 and Perpendicular features, conservatively restored in 1861. Square and finely coursed ironstone rubble with white limestone dressings and some ashlar work. Unusual plan partially accounted for by its history; nave, chancel and north aisle virtually a single space, though aisle is roofed separately. This was the chancel of the priory church. Tower forming porch on north west angle, circa 1300 buttressed and of two stages, with embattled parapet and paired trefoiled lights to bell chamber. Short recessed spire. North doorway with three shafts. In west wall of aisle one single splayed lancet and former steeper roofline visible. Nave itself also buttressed to west and with coped parapet with finial, 3-light trefoiled window set in a recess marked by white ashlar dressings, which also form two string courses. South wall very high with windows set high up in a slightly projecting section of masonry marked off by string courses above and below the windows. Parapet above. Buttresses, that to west decorated with blank traceried panels. East and west windows in Decorated style, with triple quatrefoiled lights, the central window Perpendicular, three square headed lights. The east window is Victorian in a late Decorated style, five lights with reticulated tracery forming 3 wheels or roses. Small doorway to aisle with squared hood mould and two memorial tablets above it, one 1755, the inscription plate flanked by Corinthian pilasters adorned with floral motifs and capped by a scrolly broken pediment. Buttressed north aisle with Perpendicular windows. Parapet with gargoyles. Tower forms north porch and the inner doorway is set in a triple arched opening, rounded inner arch, stiff leaf capitals to middle shaft with outer hoodmould with corbel heads. Way above this and advanced slightly to form a recess between south wall of tower and north wall of aisle is another archway. Inside one massive space, subdivided only by an arcade of two bays with wide and very lofty double chamfered arches on round piers with roll moulded capitals. Windows in south wall set very high up, and over the central light, traces of a round headed archway, blocked. Blocked south door with round arched head. To the east the masonry is disrupted suggesting that this wall is not a single build. C19 roof; tie beam and king post construction. North door has unusual fretwork to inner face, roughly shaped lattice work resembling branches nailed to the door. Tomb recess of c1300 in north wall with fleurons and ornate finials. Various C18 wall memorial tablets on north and east walls of aisle. Chancel distinguished only by being raised up two Victorian steps. Victorian fittings including simply chamfered altar rails. Most other fittings are of a piece with these, including pews and pulpit. The font is also Victorian, octagonal basin with simple geometric motif on each side, supported on a chamfered squared base. Victorian stained glass of particular quality in the west window with scenes from the life of St. John the Baptist, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne .

The Church represents a fragment of the Augustinian Priory founded by Robert Grimbald sometime before 1161.

Listing NGR: SK7744607964


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/12504/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Amanda Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].