TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 136 AT SJ 8187 5602

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074924

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 136 AT SJ 8187 5602

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 136 AT SJ 8187 5602
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:10:09.

Location

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 136 AT SJ 8187 5602

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Church Lawton

National Grid Reference: SJ 81872 56041

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH LAWTON TRENT AND MERSEY SJ 85 NW CANAL

1923- /7/10002 Bridge No. 136 at SJ 8187 5602

GV II

Canal accommodation bridge. North span circa early C19 with south span added circa early 1830's when Locks No. 48 were duplicated, probably by Thomas Telford. Brindled brick with stone coping and dressings. Towpath to north span with semi-towpath accommodation at bottom of lock steps to south span. Integral with adjoining pair of locks. Both spans have elliptical arches. Swept wings terminating in piers at either side of canal; with central pier to west side. Stone quoins to lower sections of arch and keystones to north span. Stone quoins/voussoirs and string course and plaque at crown on both sides of south span. Wooden tow rope roller with cast iron guard plates to central abutment (south span). Minor repairs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall with subsequent alterations. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ8187256041

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351204

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

End of official listing