KNYPERSLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1074943
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1994
Statutory Address:
KNYPERSLEY HALL, CONWAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNYPERSLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Apr-2020 at 09:28:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
KNYPERSLEY HALL, CONWAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Biddulph
National Grid Reference:
SJ 88444 56391

Details

BIDDULPH CONWAY ROAD, SJ 85 NE Knypersley

1915-0/7/10013 Knypersley Hall

GV II*

House. Circa early-mid C18; reduced and remodelled C19. Roughcast brick. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and ridge. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: The original C18 house was of three storeys and 2:3:2 bays facing south west. In the C19 the four west bays [most of the house to the north west] were demolished and the 4-bay south east side became the principal front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, symmetrical 3:2:3 window south east front, the flanking 3 windows in 2-storey canted bays, the centre round-headed, all with keyblocks, cills and 12-pane sashes, ground floor right and centre with thick glazing bars, ground floor left glazing bars removed; doorway to left of centre with fanlight and glazed and panelled door. Left return, remains of original front, 1:2 bays, left bay recessed. The north east, originally the rear, is recessed at centre; the north west elevation is irregular. INTERIOR: Fine open-well, open-string staircase has scrolled tread-ends and a wrought-iron and brass balustrade with anthemion decoration and monogram JB and date 1800, signed W. Marsh; the moulded mahogany handrail is wreathed over the curtail. The drawing room has a remarkable mid C18 Rococo plaster ceiling, the design spread over the flat ground with arabesques, interlacing, cartouches, shells, ribands, baskets of flowers, branches of blossom and delicate sheaves, all in deep relief, especially the elaborate centrepiece; there is an enriched modillion cornice. The front left [east] room has a moulded dentilled cornice. NOTE: Knypersley Hall was the seat of Sir Francis Bowyer in the early C17. The house was rebuilt in the early to mid C18 and in the early C19 it became the home of the Bateman family. James Bateman, the eminent hoticulturalist and landscape gardener, who designed the gardens at Biddulph Grange [qv], grew up at Knypersley where he executed his first landscape designs. The house and park are illustrated on a Spode plate made to commemorate James Bateman's 21st birthday in 1832. SOURCE: Hayden, P., Biddulph Grange: National Trust 1989; pp 62 and 63.

Listing NGR: SJ8844456391

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
438454
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hayden. P, , Biddulph Grange, (1989), 62 and 63

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/13470/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Moors. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].