CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075069
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075069.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:15:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Broughton and Old Dalby
National Grid Reference:
SK 69583 26214

Details

BROUGHTON CHURCH END & OLD DALBY (West side) SK 6926 Nether Broughton 31/230 Church of St Mary.

1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14, clerestory added and chancel rebuilt C15. Restored 1881 and N wall of N aisle rebuilt 1903. Coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with renewed Perpendicular-style tracery and hood mould with canopies either end to C20 figures on brackets. No windows to N but blocked priests door with hood mould. 2-light windows to S with Perpendicular tracery, that to SW renewed. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads and hood moulds. Aisles have 2-light windows to N and S with Decorated-style tracery of 1881 or early C2O. N aisle has small lancet windows either end, that to W with hood mould. 3-stage truer has chamfered W door with hood mould and 2-light window above with deep hollow-chamfered splay, late C19/early C2O Decorated-style tracery and hood would. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head, and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with quatrefoiled lozenge frieze helm gargoyles and panelled and crocketed pinnacles to angles; offset angle buttresses. Interior: Chancel has tiled sanctuary. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with semi-circular responds, thin swags and nail-head decoration to capitals. Similar capital to W respond of S arcade. 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers to N and polygonal responds, circular piers to S and keeled responds; moulded capitals. C17 communion table with arcaded fluting to front and turned legs. Hanoverian Royal Arms; oil on canvas. Curved stone, Saxon, with interlace work (in vestry). Small panel on S wall of S aisle, C13, with lamb and flag. Monuments: Wall monument with inscription on open book of white marble on raised grey marble ground, to Rev. John Morres d.1830 and other members of his family, signed E. Gaffin, Regent Street, London.

Listing NGR: SK6958326214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190078
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16018/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].