CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1075249
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075249.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:47:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Dodford
National Grid Reference:
SP 61246 60545

Details

DODFORD SP66SW 5/47 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV I Church, Early C12 south wall, C13 west tower and north aisle, nave rebuilt and south porch added C14/C15, chancel of 1850 by Philip Hardwick; church restored 1878-80 by William Butterfield. Ironstone and limestone rubble and coursed squared ironstone, tile roofs. Chancel nave, north aisle, south porch, west tower. Two-bay chancel has 3-light geometrical east window and coupled lancets to south, and vestry to north with hollow-chamfered north door and 2-light east window with plate tracery. Nave has some herringbone masonry to south wall, 2 small round-arched windows, one to south-east, the other visible inside and blocked by porch, tall 3-light windows either side of porch with intersecting tracery to east, reticulated to west, and clerestory on north side with three 2-light windows with straight heads. Two-storey south porch has chamfered rib vault and doorway with chamfered inner arch on polygonal responds, outer arches dying into wall, blocked 1-light above and to east and west sides. South door has double hollow-chamfered arch. North aisle has renewed 3-light Perpendicular east window, blocked double hollow-chamfered north door and lancet windows to north and at west end, that to north-east blocked; heads mostly renewed. 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses to lowest stage, chamfered west door with lancet above, a lancet to south side of middle stage and 2-light bell openings of coupled lancets under one arch. Plain stone-coped parapet on corbel table with corner pinnacles and low pyramidal lead roof with weathervane. Interior has C19 stained glass east windows to chancel and north aisle and in tower. Chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Rood screen with traceried lights given to church in 1440 by Sir John Cressy. Nave has 4-bay arcade with double hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and polygonal responds to east and west. Triple-chamfered tower arch, inner arch on polygonal responds. Circular Norman font carved with linked beaded semi-circles framing foliage patterns. C19 roofs throughout except possibly for some elements of north aisle roof. Important set of monuments including 3 brasses: John Cressy d.1414 and his wife; William Wylde d.1442 and wife; Bridget Wyrley d.1637. Purbeck marble recumbent effigy of a knight with crossed legs wearing band mail - a rare type of armour - thought to be of Sir Robert Keynes d.1305 (Pevsner). Early C14 tomb recess in north aisle with oak effigy of another lady on tomb chest in front with mourners and angels supporting pillow on which tier head rests, said to be Wentiliana de Keynes d.1376, grand-daughter of Hawise. Alabaster tomb chest with effigy of Sir John Cressy d.1444, with angels supporting arms either side and at west end. C17 alabaster wall monument to John Wyrley. Large C18 marble wall monument to Henry Benson d.1725 in Smith of Warwick style with inscription framed by round-headed arch with keyblock flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting entablature and broken segmental pediment framing cartouche of arms. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.187).

Listing NGR: SP6124660545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360693
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 187

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07056/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].