CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075284
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075284 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 11:18:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Hellidon
National Grid Reference:
SP 51573 58192

Details

HELLIDON SP5158 13/87 Church of St. John the 18/01/68 Baptist GV II* Church. Medieval west tower, nave and chancel restored and largely re-built by William Butterfield 1846-1847; north aisle added 1867 by Butterfield, chancel aisle 1897 by Mathew Holding. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone and red sandstone dressings; slate roof. Chancel, north chancel aisle, nave, south porch, north aisle and transept, west tower. East window has 3-light Decorated style tracery and hood-mould with label stops. 2-light Decorated windows to chancel and nave except for south-east chancel window of 2-lights with straight head and hood mould. South porch has double-chamfered arch. South door has moulded arch on imposts and a hood-mould and bears inscription AD 1591. 3-stage battlemented west tower has red sandstone chamfered plinth, 1-light lancet window to ground floor, west side, and 2-light windows with Decorated tracery in red sandstone to belfry stage, except to south side which has a partially blocked arched window. Interior: chancel has polychromatic zig-zag-tiled dado to sanctuary and reredos of limestone inlaid with coloured marbles and tiles, and a red marble gradine. Arch-braced collar truss roof, the east-bay painted, and a painted inscription below wall plate. Simple painted decoration to soffit and splays of chancel windows. Nave has north arcade with chamfered arches dying into square piers and a scissor-truss roof. C19 stained glass east window by Frederick Preedy; C19 windows to south side of chancel in west tower by Alexander Gibbs: wall monument to restorer of church, Reverend C.S. Holthouse by Butterfield. (Holthouse papers, Northants Record Office, Buildings of England, Northants, 1973).

Listing NGR: SP5157358192

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360577
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03420/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Baker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].