THE GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075290
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
THE GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075290 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:53:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Hellidon
National Grid Reference:
SP 51585 58021

Details

HELLIDON SP5158 13/98 The Grange - II* House, former rectory and preparatory school. 1850 and 1861 with earlier origins; some C20 alterations. By William Butterfield for Reverend C.S. Holthouse. Ironstone ashlar with some sandstone dressings, tile roof, various stone stacks. Complex plan, basically L-shape. Main range of 2 storeys and attic and 3 windows, 2-storey wings. Principal range facing garden has 3-light wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor, three-light casement windows either side of a 2-light casement window to first floor. These windows have pointed relieving arches. Gabled half-dormers to attic storey. School-room wing projecting at right end has 2-storey gabled porch right of centre with Caernarvon doorway to ground floor, a stone outer staircase to left and 2-light arched casement window to first floor. To right of porch two 4-light chamfered mullion windows to ground floor and gabled dormers to first floor either side of porch. Left of porch 1 and 2-light casement windows to ground floor; a lean-to with catslide roof in angle between the ranges containing corridor links. At left side of first floor large half-hipped dormer with 5-light Gothic timber tracery window. Gable end of principal range faces road and has semi-canted bay window with steep stone roof to right of large stone stack. To left of gable end and facing road 2-storey, 1-window entrance wing with gabled timber porch which has inner and outer plank doors with ornamental hinges, 1-light windows to either side and 3-light leaded casement window to first floor. Left end elevation has two-storey canted bay window. Interior: C19 broach-stop chamfered spine beams. Former school dining hall in ground floor of schoolroom wing remodelled early C20. School room on first floor above has arch-brace collar truss roof and fine encaustic tile fireplace with monogram of Reverend C.S. Holthouse, designed and presented by Minton. The house was described in obituary of Reverend C. S. Holthouse (A Pilgramage to Hellidon, Northamptonshire Herald, 5 February 1881) as 'one of the happiest specimens of Butterfield's domestic architecture, shewing in gable and dormer and outside staircase its natural growth from a small beginning'. The nucleus of the rectory was a small baker's house purchased by the Reverend C.S. Holthouse, remodelled and extended at a cost of £1143,15.04. (Holthouse papers: Northants Record Office).

Listing NGR: SP5158558021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360588
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03420/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Baker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].