CANONS ASHBY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1075304

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: CANONS ASHBY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CANONS ASHBY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:57:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CANONS ASHBY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Canons Ashby

National Grid Reference: SP 57731 50655

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CANONS ASHBY SP5750 19/29 Canons Ashby House 18/09/53 (Formerly listed as Canons Ashby Hall) GV I Country house. Mid C16 with earlier origins, extended c.1590, embellished c.1632, south front remodelled and other alterations made 1708-10. Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, brick, limestone dressings, tile roofs, stacks mostly brick, some stone. H-plan, extended to courtyard plan. 5-window west range to Green Court, entrance front until c.1840, of brick rendered, has early C18 central 8-panel double-leaf door in moulded stone frame with console keyblock flanked by plain Doric pilasters, supporting plain frieze, inflected cornice and broken pediment framing lead cartouche; original blocked C16 service door to left with 4-centred arch head and carved spandrels. To right and left, 3-light leaded mullion and transom windows; 3-light mullion windows to first floor. Gabled ends break forward and have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor with moulded stone sills and plain surrounds with keyblocks, blocked to left end, 4-light mullion and transom windows with hood moulds to first floor, 3-light mullion windows in gables; mullions arched to right wing. Moulded plinth, quoins to angles. First floor string, fine lead rainwater heads and pipes flanking central bay. 2 brick lateral stacks left of centre, and central timber cupola with clock rebuilt 1981 to original early C18 design. 9-window south range to garden has rendered brick, 4-storey, tower left of centre with 8-panel door, approached by flight of 5 steps with shaped angles, with moulded stone surround, console keyblock, and broken segmental pediment. To right a 5-light mullion window. 3-light arch-mullion windows to first and second floors, all with hood moulds and similar window to fourth floor. Tower has a round stair turret with ogee lead roof and weather vane to rear left angle beside brick stack. Rest of range of 2 storeys, ashlar faced, 3 bays to left of tower, 5 to right, with 24-pane sashes, surrounds as above. 2-light mullion windows to basement, moulded plinth and storey band. Right gable end has 2-light mullion window with hood mould to gable and evidence of blocked and dismantled first floor oriel; long timber lintel with blocked opening below. Irregular 6-window brick north range has 2 and 3 storeys and mezzanine. 2-storey canted bays either end with mullion and transom windows except to upper window of left bay - mullioned only, tall 2-light mullion and transom windows to right of centre lighting kitchen, two 24-pane sashes to left with stone surrounds as above. 2-and 3 light mullion windows to ground, mezzanine and third floors and 2-light arch-mullion recess to left of right end bay, just above moulded plinth. Stepped string broken by mezzanine window. Brick and stone ridge stacks. Left gable end has second floor oriel, originally matching blocked oriel already mentioned, with mullion and transom window, and 1-light side pieces, a 3-light mullion window below and to ground floor (2 blocked first floor sash windows). East entrance front of 2 storeys is lower than the other ranges and has irregular fenestration. Chamfered carriage arch to right of arch. Various wood mullion and mullion and transom windows and a 2-storey double-hipped projection to left with small brick arched basement doorway. No plinth to left of arch. Rubble masonry and irregular fenestration to Pebble Court. 4-centred arched door to hall to right of centre is approached by flight of 7 steps. Re-used medieval stonework to this side of north range. Plain stone caped parapets except to east range. Interior: spectacular Jacobean plasterwork and overmantel in Drawing Room, former 'Great Chamber'. C16 painted decoration in studio and Spencer Room, early C18 Painted Parlour. Evidence of open roof to hall in rooms to side of Brown Gallery and possible Long Gallery in top storey of north range. Seat of the Drydens since mid C16; given to National Trust in 1981; (National Trust Guide: 1984; Buildings of England; Northants, p.134-6)

Listing NGR: SP5773150655

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360519

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
National Trust Guide, (1984)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 134-6
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

End of official listing