SJ 38 SW,
CHURCH ROAD (south side),
Lower Bebington, Church of St Andrew
Church. Two bays of nave south arcade, C12; south aisles,
c.1300; south-west tower, early to mid C14, chancel and
north and south chapels, crossing and transeptal bays, early
C16, north aisle, 1847, using windows and entrance of former
nave north wall of early C14.
North aisle has parapet;
gabled porch, pointed entrance has doors with vertical
strips, studs and strap hinges; window of three lights and one
of two lights, west window is straight-headed of two lights,
under gable, west end of nave has 3-light straight-headed
window. Tower has deep buttresses, western two are diagonal,
rectangular stair turret to north side; west window of two
lights, second stage lancet with shouldered lintel, and 2-light
louvred bell openings. Splay spire with lucarnes. South
aisle has two windows with Y-tracery, gabled porch similar to
above; C19 masonry to eastern bay. Chancel and gabled
chapels have moulded base, sill course, weathered buttresses
with bases of panelled pinnacles, cornice and parapet.
4-light windows with hollow-chamfered reveals and hood moulds,
transoms and Perpendicular tracery. North-chapel windows
are cusped, south-chapel windows cusped below transom,
transeptal bay windows uncusped. East end has 5-light
windows. Entrances to eastern bays, that to north C19.
INTERIOR has 3-bay Norman style arcades C19 arch-braced
collar roof. South aisle has blocked window and high door
to eastern end. Round font with simple panels, probably
medieval. Crossing and transeptal bays have panelled piers,
corbelled chancel and chapel arches. Chancel has 3-bay
arcades, wall shafts to tie-beam roof. Chancel, chapel and
parclose screens by C.E. Deacon. Windows have cusped
panelled recesses below. Reredoses and altars are C19,
pierced panels to altars. C16 misericords and bench ends.
Timber pulpit has tracery panels. North transept window by
Wailes, 1855; south transept window by Holiday, 1881.
Listing NGR: SJ3330083921