LADY LEVER ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1075469

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1965

Statutory Address: LADY LEVER ART GALLERY, THE DIAMOND

Map

Ordnance survey map of LADY LEVER ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075469 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:32:55.

Location

Statutory Address: LADY LEVER ART GALLERY, THE DIAMOND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 33578 84785

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEBINGTON THE DIAMOND SJ 3384 NE (north end) Port Sunlight 13/83 Lady Lever 20.12.65 Art Gallery

G.V. II

Art Gallery. 1914-22. By William and Segar Owen. Reinfored concrete with Portland stone cladding. Rectangular block with entrance projections to all sides, those to north and south with concave re-entrants. Cruciform top hamper and saucer domes to ends. Richly moulded base with some small windows, entablature and parapet, balustraded to entrance projections. East projection has recessed Ionic hexastyle porch between chanelled-rusticated bays. Windows have rich architraves, aprons and cornices, those to outer bays with trophy crests. West projection similar, with attached colonnade. North and south bays have recessed Ionic hexastyle porches, flanking windows as above with fielded panels over. Porches have fielded panels. Projection to south has inscription "THE LADY LEVER ART GALLERY" to frieze. Entrances have paired panelled doors; steps flanked by marble bases, those to south have urns. In north west angle a male figure, L'opprime (the oppressed) sculpted by A. Guilloux, 1913. Interior: Central hall flanked by 1st floor balconies, with wider ends. Flat pilasters and barrel vaulted glazed roof. Ionic columns, paired in depth at each end of central part. Balconies have antae; entrances below have architraves, pilasters, friezes and consoled pediments. Ends have similar details. Entrance halls are octagonal with circular Ionic colonnade with paired columns and glazed dome; niches alternate with entrances. One room contains c.1730 panelling from house near Chatham; another contains 1571 panelling from Lambourne Hall farm, Essex; a third contains Adam-style panelling, 1925, by Percy MacQuoid. Built to house Lord Leverhulme's art collection.

Listing NGR: SJ3357884785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 215404

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing