Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 01:42:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Knowsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 44267 91130


HUYTON-WITH-ROBY HUYTON LANE SJ 49 SW (north side) 5/9 Church of 6/6/51 St. Michael

G.V. II*

Church. South arcade, and chancel C14, tower C14, the top dated 1664, north aisle and arcade 1815, south aisles 1822; Case Mausoleum, now vestry, 1681. Stone with stone slate chancel roof. Nave aisles under hipped roofs, chancel, west tower and north vestry. Tower has moulded base; diagonal buttresses with pinnacles at bell stage. West entrance has continuous mouldings; frieze over has roundels and quatrefoils with shields; drip mould over; bell stage has sill course and 3-light louvred bell openings with uncusped Perpendicular tracery; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet with obelisk pinnacles with iron vanes. South aisle has embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; 2-light windows with uncusped Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds with foliate stops. Porch similar with elaborate wrought iron lamp bracket. Rainwater heads are dated. North aisle similar. Clerestory has embattled parapet and 3-light windows. Chancel has 3 lights with recessed arched heads to south, and original south priest's door, with strap hinges and studs. 5-light east window. Vestry has connecting passage to north of chancel; cornice, parapet with panelled pilasters; east entrance, now window, with bolection moulded architrave, broken segmental pediment with obelisk; south blind vesica. Interior: 5-bay arcades, double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Roof probably C16 has moulded principal rafters and purlins, cambered tie beams. Tower arch has C19 timber screen. Early Norman font, round, with arcading and heads, rosettes to rim. C15 font, octagonal with shields in quatrefoils. Charity board dated 1710. Chancel screen c.1500, removed during Civil War and replaced with repairs 1663. Octagonal timber pulpit with tracery. Chancel roof, C17, false hammer-beam roof has tracery panels, pendants and wind braces. North organ loft. Reredos has niches with tall canopies. Wrought iron altar rail, 2 windows to south aisle by Holiday, 1883 and 1885. Vestry has memorial in architrave with scrolly crest. Alabaster effigy of priest, John de Winwick, 1359.

Listing NGR: SJ4426791130


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01900/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Gilmore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].