CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1075549
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE GREEN B38

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075549.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 01:34:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE GREEN B38

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 04934 78962

Details

THE GREEN 1. 5104 (north-west side) Kings Norton B38 Church of St Nicholas SP 0478 NE 58/1 25.4.52 I 2. Substantial medieval church of sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and west tower with spire, south porch. Norman origin but predominantly late C13 and C14. Major feature of C15 west tower and spire with contemporary south porch, gabled clerestory a C17 addition chancel restored with considerable reconstruction by Ewan Christian C1863. North aisle rebuilt with the old materials and vestry added to north west end in the restoration of 1872 by W J Hopkins. The chancel retains 2 reset C12 round arched windows in the north wall, and was probably rebuilt in the early C13 with a further rebuild in the C14. Major rebuilding commenced late C13 with the 7 bay north aisle arcade, the south aisle arcade being early C14 - octagonal and quatrefoil clustered shaft piers, but one circular. Arches of 2 chamfered orders. C14 chancel arch of 2 orders with ball flower ornament to inner one, south aisle windows with hood moulds C14: north aisle windows altered in 1872 restoration. The tower and spires of the C15: 4 stages, the belfry arcade to each face with 4 2-light mullioned-transomed windows, outer ones blind, all with crocketted gabled drip moulds with finials. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, the graceful octagonal spire rising above in 3 stages, the south porch also C15 with remains of a crocketed image bracket above the doorway in the gable. Inside the porch the carved corner corbels indicate the original intention to vault in stone. In C1659 (dated beam) the 3 gables containing the south clerestory were added, those to the north removed in the rebuilding of the north aisle of 1872. Good C16 and C17 monuments mostly grouped under the tower, noteworthy for its strapwork the alabaster altar-tomb with recumbent effigies of Sir Richard Grevis and 1632 and his wife. The church holds a commanding position on a hillock set in a churchyard on the north side of the green. The tower is a landmark.



Listing NGR: SP0493878958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
217165
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/03694/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].