This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SAREHOLE MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SAREHOLE MILL

List entry Number: 1075631

Location

SAREHOLE MILL, COLE BANK ROAD, HALL GREEN B13

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/02/2013

SP 08 SE 12/16 5104 25.4.52

COLE BANK ROAD Hall Green B13 Sarehole Mill

(Formerly listed under Shard End B13) (Formerly listed as Sarehole Mill House under Hall Green)

II

The existing corn mill (restored 1960's) is substantially a rebuild, on an early mill site, of circa 1764-68. L plan block of one and two storeys red brick with gable end clay tile roofs. Brick dentil eaves. Barn at right angles to mill building with ventilation in gable end. The 2 storey and attic main mill building has a restored bracketted, cabled, weatherboarded hoist. Segmental arched small pane iron frame window. Single storey south end of range was used as a blade grinding shop and adapts as living accommodation in part, on reverting to corn grinding in the 1850's. At this time additional power was provided by the installation of a steam engine, the stack of which is built on to the north cable end of the main mill (tapering square section with cornice cap). The well preserved machinery was probably installed when corn winding resumed in the 1850's (probably brought from Trittiford Mill) and has a high breast shot cast iron wheel in the main building with a smaller overshot wheel in the former blade grinding plant to the south. Complete set of stones, gearing, hoppers etc.



Listing NGR: SP1005381833

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 09883 81828

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 09:07:06.

End of official listing