CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1075852
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, BRIDGES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:23:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, BRIDGES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Sefton
National Grid Reference:
SD 35683 01295

Details

SEFTON BRIDGES LANE SD 30 SE (north side) 7/127 Church of St. Helen 11.10.68 G.V. I Church. West tower and east bay of north chapel early C14. West bay of north chapel C15. Single vessel nave and chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and east vestry c.1535-40. West tower has diagonal buttresses, cornice and parapet with gargoyles. 2-light west window has reticulated tracery, similar louvred bell openings. Recessed spire has round lucarnes, pinnacles are beehive shaped probably C17 or later. North aisle has coped parapet; windows of 3 lights with uncusped Perpendicular tracery. North chapel has square-headed 3-light windows with reticulated tracery; western window has cusped Perpendicular tracery. South aisle and chapel have embattled parapet, windows as North aisle but of 4 lights with transom. Clerestory has embattled parapet and round-headed windows with intersecting tracery. Chancel has 4-light, 2-transom north and south windows; east window has tracery of c.1870, 5 lights and one transom; parapet and pinnacles. East vestry has north extension of 1915. South porch of 2 storeys; 4-centred entrance arch, 4-light mullioned window above; embattled parapet and pinnacles, central statue. Interior: triple chamfered tower arch. 4-bay nave arcade has early C17 texts painted on spandrels; 2-bay arcade to chancel. Roofs have moulded beams and bosses. Rood screens and chapel screens have rich decoration combining Gothic and Renaissance motifs, coving to both sides. Similar parclose screens and Blundell and Sefton pews. Choir stall and bench ends have rich carving. Pulpit dated 1635, has back board and tester, rich arabesque carving, later stair rail. C15 font with cover dated 1688, 3 brass chandeliers, 1773. Chancel panelling with Ionic pilastrade, c.1730. Sedillia and piscina, ogee-headed cupboard. North chapel has double piscina, some early C16 stained glass fragments to south windows. Several monuments and 2 memorial brasses dating from late C13. Reference: Victoria County History for Lancashire, Vol. III.

Listing NGR: SD3568401296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216524
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1907)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01678/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].