HIGHBURY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1076076

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Statutory Address: HIGHBURY HALL, YEW TREE ROAD B13

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHBURY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 06:49:13.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGHBURY HALL, YEW TREE ROAD B13

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 06820 82690

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SF 08 SE 12/75

Moseley B13, YEW TREE ROAD, Highbury Hall

(formerly listed as Highbury Moor Green)

21.01.70

II

Dated 1879 by J H Chamberlain for the Right Hon. Joseph Chamberlain MP whose house it was from 1880 to 1914. Extensive modern additions have been made since the house became in 1915 a hospital and later an old peoples' home. Red brick with stone dressings and some applied timberwork in the gables; tiled roof with richly carved brick eaves cornice. Mostly of two storeys plus attic, but partly of three storeys. Asymmetrical composition essentially L-shaped in plan. Original panelled double doors with stained glass tympanum within a richly moulded stone arch on two orders of pink marble shafts with gable above. Left and right gabled pilasters. Above, a 2-light window with richly carved tympanum and gable. The windows pointed and mostly of plate tracery type. Much use everywhere of decorative materials and carved, especially cut brick, decoration. The right hand return is the garden facade, again asymmetrical but essentially a long 2-storeyed wing with two 2-storeyed bay windows and a 3-storeyed wing with a 3-storeyed stone canted bay window in it.

INTERIOR of great richness. The Great Hall, with floor of variegated woods, rises through two storeys to a timber and glazed roof. At one end of the room, the staircase rises behind the first floor balcony to appear through an arcade of five arches with pink marble shafts set in a tile diapered wall at the other end, a richly marbled fireplace with carved panels and tiles and a reredos like mirror with crocketted gables. Walls with pink marble pilasters, panelled dado, tiles and carved foliage panels. Gilt gesso to the underside of the balcony, which has geometrical railings. Huge central brass gasolier. Off this hall, the principal rooms all with Gothic panelled doors with good brass furniture, elaborate fireplaces with coloured marbles, carved foliage panels, tiles and rich ceiling cornices. The former Billiard Room is L-shaped with an arcade of three bays with marble piers and 2-centred arches. Panelled dado; richly coffered wooden ceiling with painted foliage, inlay work and geometrical panelling; fireplace with brass surround, pink and white marbles and foilage carving.



Listing NGR: SP0682082690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 217837

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 43 West Midlands,

End of official listing