GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1076133

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Statutory Address: GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE, UNIVERSITY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:50:57.

Location

Statutory Address: GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE, UNIVERSITY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 04801 83468

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UNIVERSITY ROAD 1. 5104 Edgbaston B15 Great Hall and Quadrant Range formerly listed as Birmingham University (Main Buildings) SP 08 SW 11/4 21.1.70 II* 2. 1900-1909 by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell, the D plan group main university building of which only part were completed to the original design. The Great Hall opposite the tower is the central axial building, to its front is a square entrance hall with a giant round arched mullioned window, above an ornate frieze over the loggia doorways, flanked by tapering square corner turrets (to rear as well) which are topped by small ribbed domes. Over the hall rises a low octagonal drum supporting a large ribbed dome and a miniature lantern. Red brick and stone and buff terracotta dressings, but the conception is more Byzantine than Renaissance. Behind the domed and galleried entrance hall with ornate Renaissance grotesque relief carving, lies the Great Hall itself, a vast tunnel vaulted space with cross vaulted 2 storey side galleries. Rich grotesque carving. Lavish stained glass by T R Spence. The centrepiece of the hall has 2 storey quadrant links forming the wing pavilions, 2 to the west but only one completed to the east. These relate on a smaller 2 storey scale to the Great Hall being square on plan and with similar ribbed domes but with round corner turrets, wings extending behind. Flat lintelled window ranges on ground floor and large frescoed friezes by Anning Bell below the parapets on the first floor level. The link ranges have segmental arched windows. Modern part to east not of special interest.



Listing NGR: SP0472283539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 217678

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing