STRATFORD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1076165
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Jul-1982
Statutory Address:
STRATFORD HOUSE, STRATFORD PLACE B11

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076165.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:04:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
STRATFORD HOUSE, STRATFORD PLACE B11

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 08181 85548

Details

STRATFORD PLACE 1. 5104 Highgate B11 Stratford House (formerly listed under Camp Hill, Bordesley) SP 0885 NW 53/12 25.4.52 II* 2. Dated 1601 and built for Ambrose Rotton and his wife Bridget. Remarkable survival of a 2 storey and attic timber framed and plastered manor house, the ground floor partly refaced and underpinned in painted brick to support jetty. Gabled cross wing to left and off centre gable and slightly smaller gable to right, all slightly jettied on moulded brackets. Central 2 storey gabled porch with first floor projecting on long angle brackets. Between the cross wing and the porch either side of the modern brick window bay the studding is exposed with a row of blocked wood mullion lights high set on same level as the open one to sides of porch. The first floor studding is braced in herring bone pattern and the gables have short curved braces forming diamond patterns. Square headed moulded jamb opening to porch with date on and initials on moulded cornice. The original battened and studded door remains in situ with similar case to that of porch. Renewed old tile roof with rebuilt clustered brick chimney stack, diamond shafted, set on ridge by cross wing. Three light transomed metal casements with leaded lights replacing C18 iron casements at time of restoration in the 195Os. Stratford House underwent considerable internal alteration in the 1820-30s when a rear brick built staircase wing and corridor were added. Most of the door furniture is of this period but the 2 front rooms, flanking the studded passage from the front door, retain chamfered ceiling beams dividing the plastered ceiling, with deep cornice mouldings, into 2 compartments. The left hand room retains 4 centred arch stone chimney piece and there is a similar chimney piece, cased in a reeded early C19 surround, to the first floor room of the cross wing. The back landing has exposed portion of the original outside wall framing with a hammer-head wall post by the attic stairs. The attics are plastered but the functions of some of the rafters (partly renewed) and the framing of the gables are partially exposed.



Listing NGR: SP0732485648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
217654
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00068/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J J Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].