This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street

List entry Number: 1076374

Location

6, 7 AND 8, LOWER RUSHALL STREET, WALSALL, WS1 2AA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Walsall

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-2014

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219115

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

A terrace of three houses, built in c1800, with C20 alterations and refurbishment.

Reasons for Designation

Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street, built in c1800 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Date and rarity: a rare surviving example of a modest terrace built prior to 1840; * Architectural interest: a good design with good-quality decorative finishes to the lintels and doorcases; * Historic interest and group value: together with 11 Lower Rushall Street (Grade II) the houses were once part of the premises of Moses Eyland who founded one of the area's best known spectacle-making firms.

History

Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street form a terrace of three houses built in c1800. The historic maps show that they were part of a longer row of terraced houses; those to the south of No. 6 were demolished as part of the 1930s slum clearances.

Walsall was a centre for making optical glass and mirrors and by the early C19 these houses, together with No. 11 Lower Rushall Street (now flats, 2013) formed part of the business premises of Moses Eyland who, in 1813, founded one of the area's best known spectacle-making firms here. By 1818 Eyland combined the trade with that of saddler's ironmonger, and by 1822 the firm had become Moses Eyland & Sons. In the late C19 the business expanded into buckle manufacture, gilding and electro-plating and the buildings to the rear of the terrace are referred to as ‘Buckle Works' on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1887) . The 4th edition Ordnance Survey map (1938) shows an alleyway to the south side of No. 6, presumably to provide access to the large building to its rear (west), and by the mid-C20 this building had been amalgamated with No. 6. The buildings to the rear have since been demolished.

A mid-C20 photograph of the front elevation of Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street shows the houses to have had a corrugated asbestos roof at that time, also that there were a pair of garage doors in place of the original entrance door and ground-floor window to No. 6, and that there was a bow window to the ground floor of No.7. Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Lower Rushall Street were added to the List in 1986 at which time they were described as workshops. Since then they have been sympathetically restored and all the original window and door openings have been re-instated.

Details

A terrace of three houses, built in c1800, with C20 alterations and refurbishment. MATERIALS: constructed of red brick laid in Flemish bond under a plain tile roof with a coped stone gable to the south end. There are three brick chimney stacks to the ridge of the front and rear roof range.

PLAN: three, single-bay houses that are of three storeys and double-depth on plan.

EXTERIOR: each house is arranged with a doorway to the left and windows to the right. The late-C20 doorways comprise a six-panel door within a timber pilaster doorcase, with triangular pediment above; the doorcase to No. 6 is a late-C20 copy. The windows are arranged as eight-over-eight sash windows to the ground and first floors with stucco lintels above, that have stepped keystones and chamfered voussoirs. The windows to the ground floor date from the late C20. To the second floor are three-over-three sash windows. To the side (south) elevation of No. 6 is evidence for a former attached building.

INTERIOR: not inspected (2013).

Selected Sources

Websites
, accessed from http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY/1999-10/0940895630
, accessed from http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2261595
, accessed from http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/News/All-aboard-for-a-grand-day-out-Walsall-workers-out-in-Worcestershire-2.htm
'Walsall: Economic history', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 17: Offlow hundred (part) (1976), accessed from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36193

National Grid Reference: SP0169598536

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076374 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 09:54:53.

End of official listing