Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076554.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:41:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 59464 57434


EVERDON HIGH STREET SP5957 (South side) 22/71 Church of St. Mary 18/01/68 GV I Church. Early C14, restored c.1860 and 1891-92 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light C19 Perpendicular style window, 2-light windows with Y-tracery to south, 2 similar windows to north and C19 vestry to north-east. Nave has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows with segmental heads north and south. North aisle has 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery to north, one to west of porch, two to east. Many-moulded north door has 3 orders of shafts and foliage capitals to left, plain to right, within gabled north porch with double-chamfered doorway. One-light cusped windows east and west. South aisle has 4-light east windows with Curvilinear tracery either side of porch, and 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch ornamented with fleurons innermost, then ballflower and stem with leaves suggesting trailing vine outermost; 3 shafts and foliage capitals; crocketed ogee hood mould with finial. South porch has chamfered and shallow hollow-chamfered doorway, inner arch resting on polygonal capitals and responds; one-light blocked windows east and west. Sundial above doorway. 3-stage west tower has 2-light Decorated window (renewed), small one-light cusped windows to north, south and west, and 2-light Decorated bell-openings . Tower and south aisle diagonal buttresses and buttresses between bays of chancel and aisles, all off-set. Plain stone coped parapets throughout except for north porch which is stone coped only, the tower having renewed pyramidal pinnacles to each corner. All windows have hood moulds some with fine carved head label stops. Interior: chancel has 3-bay sedilia with cusped ogee heads and crocheted hood moulds, a many-cusped tomb recess to north-east and chamfered priest's door to north roof, choir stalls and organ-case of 1891-2 by Bodley and Garner. Chancel arch has double wave-moulded arch the innermost on polygonal responds. C14 rood screen. Nave has 4-bay arcades with sunk chamfered arches on circular moulded capitals and circular piers with wide fillets. Tie beam roof of 1755. Piscina at east end of north aisle (south side) and south-east end of south aisel. Octagonal C13 Purbeck marble font, with 2 blank pointed arches to east side, on renewed stem and colonettes; C19 timber cover with ogee volutes supporting finial. C17 communion table in south aisle. Pulpit of 1808, octagonal, on base of 1892. Royal Arms of George III, oil on canvas, in tower together with painted Charity Board and funeral hatchment. West gallery of uncertain date, much renewed 1892 with staircase with turned balusters giving access to roofs. Glazing mostly clear glass with many old crown glass quarries; some medieval stained glass fragments including, a Pelican in her Piety in north-west nave window and deer in south aisle. Stain glass east window of chancel (1906), east window, south aisle (1921) and other south aisle windows by Burlison and Grylls. Wall monument to Thomas and Dorothy Spencer, set up 1606, of alabaster with English marble columns with Corinthian capitals framing inscription. Brasses of 1613 to Adam Robyns and 1605 to Timothy Dod. Buildings of England: 1973, p.210; Christopher Dalton, The Church of St. Mary, Everdon (Guide) 1975, revised 1982).

Listing NGR: SP5946457434


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dalton, C , The Church of St Mary Everdon, (1982)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 210


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06653/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael E. Megeary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].