CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1076637

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1974

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CANTERBURY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:17:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CANTERBURY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Coventry (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 34070 79508

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



833/17/253 CANTERBURY STREET 24-JUN-74 HILLFIELDS Church of St Peter

II



Former Anglican church, disused at the time of survey (2002) and sited amongst social housing, mostly in tower blocks, close to Coventry City Centre. A new church of St Peter has been built alongside. 1840-41 to the designs of Robert Ebbles in a pre-archaeological lancet style with some Perpendicular elements. Flemish bond red brick with brick dressings. Plan of shallow chancel, nave with W gallery with stairs in blocks flanking the W end tower; E end vestry.

EXTERIOR: The windows have flat-faced hoodmoulds with square terminals, some have been dressed off. Shallow sanctuary with a parapet and 4-light E window in a rustic Perpendicular style. 8-bay buttressed nave with a parapet and large lancet windows. 3-stage porch/tower with angle buttresses with set-offs and a parapet with crow-stepped battlements. Double-chamfered Tudor arched W doorway with a large 3-light W window over and tall lancets to the belfry. Square-on-plan stair blocks to the gallery to left and right have set-back buttresses, plain parapets and smaller Tudor-arched doorways. The E end vestry is low with a blocked triple lancet window.

INTERIOR: The sanctuary is defined by a moulded stone arch, the mouldings dying into plain responds. The chancel is defined by very plain timber rails with a memorial date of 1944. 8-bay roof of 9 closely-spaced trusses of tie beam and queen post design. The roof is unexpectedly substantial, given the 1840-41 date. Short arched braces below the tie beam are decorated with pierced quatrefoils and supported on moulded stone corbels and there are cusped braces from the queen posts to the collars. The roof is plastered behind the rafters. Very deep W gallery, canted forward in the centre. The front of the gallery has been renewed but the supports, 2 rows of cast iron columns, with additional columns at the angles, are presumably original. Cantilevered stone stairs to the galleries have iron balustrades with plain verticals and ramped handrails. Arched doorways at the W end of the nave lead to the gallery stairs and a large chamfered arch in the centre leads into the porch. Font, painted white, with an octagonal bowl carved with blind trefoils, and an octagonal stem. Font cover dated 1966. Timber pulpit, damaged, has a 1914 memorial date but appears to be integral with the wooden screening forming a SE vestry in the corner of the nave, screening dated 1929 and incorporating a projecting tester to the pulpit. Nave benches of rather unusual design with open backs and shouldered ends pierced by roundels. Some gallery benches, with very slender ends and panelled backs may be original, along with simple benches along the back wall of the nave. Brass eagle lectern. Two timber altars, both probably early C20. One, at the E end of the nave stands in front of a panelled First World War memorial incorporating lists of names.

Grade II for an unusually substantial brick town church of 1840-41, with tower. The interior has a good, but not outstanding, roof for the date and unremarkable fittings.

Sources Pevsner, Warwickshire, 1966, 264



Listing NGR: SP3407079508

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 218456

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 264
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/223738

End of official listing