CORN EXCHANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1076928
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
CORN EXCHANGE, CORNHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORN EXCHANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076928.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 09:43:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CORN EXCHANGE, CORNHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bury St. Edmunds
National Grid Reference:
TL 85266 64216

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW CORNHILL 639-1/14/292 Corn Exchange 07/08/52

GV II

Corn Exchange. 1861-62, altered 1969-70. By Ellis and Woodard, architects of Fenchurch Street, London. Ironwork by Ransomes and Sims of Ipswich. Contractor, Lot Jackaman of Bury St Edmunds. In white brick and freestone, probably Ancaster, with Portland stone for the bases of the pillars; slate roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; on an island site. The whole building has a stone modillion cornice with stone balustrading above the north and south fronts and over the end bays on the east and west. The south front, designed as a single storey, has a giant hexastyle Ionic portico with a pediment decorated by figures representing Agriculture. The wings flanking the portico have blocked semicircular-headed windows with stone architraves and pediments on consoles, set in stone arched recesses and framed by stone pilasters. The north front has a central pediment with a circular stone panel bearing a coat of arms. The 2-storeyed east and west fronts were altered in 1969/70 to make shop windows on the east side and a shopping arcade on the west. 5 window range with the upper part of the original stone arched semicircular headed windows. The shop fronts are divided into bays by stone pilasters with the central and end bays projecting slightly. A slate-roofed colonnade on the north side, now a shop, was originally part of the town Shambles, which occupied 3 sides of the site on which the Corn Exchange is built. Plain Tuscan columns with stilted segmental arches and iron scroll ornamentation. One original free-standing Tuscan column survives inside, raised and encased in C19 brick. INTERIOR: originally open from floor to roof, with a 7-bay arcade to east and west in which semicircular stone arches were supported by cast-iron columns with wide, heavily foliated caps. The arches are in alternating bands of light and darker stone surmounted by a dentil cornice on the front and back. Ornate keystones carry agricultural motifs such as wheatsheaves and rams' heads, and the central keystone on each side has the entwined initials VR within a roundel decorated with roses, shamrock, daffodils and thistles. The main ribs of the roof are supported on corbels with heavy enriched consoles projecting from the cornice. Glazed roof with cast-iron glazing bars and a decorated central plaster panel.



The upper floor was inserted just below the level of the cast-iron capitals, which are now encased in wooden shuttering. A stage has been built at the north end and 2 flights of stairs inserted within the vestibule of the principal front. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 146; White W: Directory of Suffolk: Sheffield: 1874-: 580).



Listing NGR: TL8526664216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466762
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 146
White, W , Directory of Suffolk, (1874), 580

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14126/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].