CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1076943
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHESTNUT AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:39:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHESTNUT AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Elmbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1496066296

Details

TQ16NW 24/10/97 374/2/10041

ELMBRIDGE CHESTNUT AVENUE Weston Green CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS II

Anglican church. 1938-9 by Edward Maufe. White rendered brick, with pantiled roofs, in Romanesque style with continental details. 5-bay nave, with choir and sanctuary flanked by Lady chapel and children's corner, and two storey vestry block. Asymmetrical tower. Narrow narthex at (liturgical) west end under balcony. The west end with stepped arch surround incorporating 'osbergian' shaped west window and recessed double entrance doors under decorated porch inscribed 'Venite Exultemus Deo'. Nave with round-headed windows, each with leaded lights, three transoms and central mullion. Casement fasteners in the form of half-sunbursts. Round window at (liturgical) east end, over memorial plaques. Children's corner under tower with stepped round window behind slate sill. Tower has a row of small louvres under broad, swept eaves, surmounted by cross. Smaller square windows to vestries and narthex. INTERIOR: Nave with groin-vaulted passage aisles, the main space with exposed pine timbers, and wood block floor. Centrally-placed font at west end with lancet tracery to bowl. Round chancel arch, with pulpit built into angle. Choir stalls by Maufe reached up two steps, with a further step and low rails to sanctuary. Sanctuary with altar, and stepped sedilia between columns with unmoulded capitals. To left, squint with similar Romanesque columns in Maufe's distinctive style give on to Lady chapel. Lady chapel reached under round arch, with stalls and altar rails, and a painting set behind the altar. Included as an excellent, complete and little-altered example of Maufe's mature style, designed as work on his Guildford Cathedral was beginning. Its manipulation of light within carefully conceived spaces places it among his best works, while the controlled massing and unusual design of the exterior gives it exceptional presence. (Source: Incorporated Church Building Society, Fifty Modern Churches, 1947, pp. 102-5)

Listing NGR: TQ1496066296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466741
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Incorporated Church Building Society, , Fifty Modern Churches, (1947), 102-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13078/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].