SMETHWICK NEW PUMPING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF BRASSHOUSE LANE BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1077154

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: SMETHWICK NEW PUMPING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF BRASSHOUSE LANE BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMETHWICK NEW PUMPING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF BRASSHOUSE LANE BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:29:34.

Location

Statutory Address: SMETHWICK NEW PUMPING HOUSE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF BRASSHOUSE LANE BIRMINGHAM CANAL BIRMINGHAM LEVEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sandwell (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 01926 88913

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDWELL MB BIRMINGHAM CANAL SP 0188 NE Birmingham Level, Smethwick 19/14 Smethwick new Pumping House approximately 50 metres 29.12.78 north-west of Brasshouse Lane

II

Pumping house between Smeaton's Old Main Line on the Wolverhampton Level and Telford's New Main Line on the Birmingham Level. 1892. Brick with slate roof. One storey to Old Main Line and two storeys to New Main Line. Lower storey has four-bay blind arcade with impost band, and a smaller doorway within right-hand arch. The upper storey has four windows with segmental heads, the two right-hand ones blocked, and a drip course. Miniature false machicolation to the eaves; adjoining to the left is the ashes hole with a doorway for removing the ash. Hipped slate roof in two spans, with louvred ridge ventilators. Right- hand return wall of three bays, with blocked windows. North-east wall, facing upper level, has two wide elliptical arches with smaller inner segmental arches. The right-hand one is blocked, the left-hand one is a doorway. In front of the right-hand archway are the foundation walls of the coal hole. Interior: steel roof trusses. History: This pumping house replaced two earlier pumping stations on the Engine Arm of the Birmingham Canal. It was the last to be erected on this section of the canal and housed two vertical compound engines driving centrifugal pumps capable of lifting 200 locks per day. In 1905 one engine was removed for use at Bentley, the remaining one being in use until the early 1920s. The pumphouse is a prominent feature of the canalside landscape.

Listing NGR: SP0192688913

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 219213

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing