CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077235
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077235.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 02:56:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
South Pickenham
National Grid Reference:
TF 85693 04167

Details

SOUTH PICKENHAM TF 80 SE 10/56 Church of All Saints 23.6.60

GV I

Parish church. Fabric generally 14th century and 15th century with some 17th century rebuilding work following the collapse of the roof in 1604. Base of tower probably 12th century. Flint with brick and limestone dressings; pantiled roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch. Round west tower with 14th century octagonal upper stage. The octagonal stage has restored 2-light bell openings with cusped Y-tracery and roll-moulded quoins to angles. Small semi-circular headed west window. Windows in north wall of nave and south wall of chancel are of two lights with cusped 'Y' tracery c. 1300. The south wall of the nave has one 2-light late Decorated window, a large blocked opening with a later square drip mould now truncating the arched head, a two light window with 'Y' tracery, the mullion rebuilt in ovolo-moulded brick, and a 2-light Decorated window with a restored elliptical head. Staged buttresses of flint and brick with stone dressings. East wall has angle buttresses and a 4-light reticulated window under an ogee headed arch. Small cusped niche below east window. The north wall of the chancel has a projecting pier, semi-circular on plan, with a pantile capping, possibly an old flue. Priests door with segmental head adjoining a 3-light Perpendicular window. The westernmost window in the north wall of nave is 2-light late Decorated/early Perpendicular Large brick buttresses with stone copings. North porch of brick and flint, much rebuilt.

Interior: nave roof probably 17th century, rebuilt in 1907: quadrant moulded tie beams with curious shallow arch braces to wall posts. Wooden cornice with poker-work decoration. Chancel roof boarded, with wooden coving. Continuous hood mould over south chancel windows supported at west end on shaft with Romanesque capital. Dropped cill sedilia and angle piscina to easternmost window, 14th century. Carved corbels for roof loft remain in nave walls. Painting: the south nave wall has a 14th century St. Christopher and the remains of text in the reveal of the easternmost window; two later panels of text on the north wall. 17th century wooden plaque, now very decayed, in base of window in south nave wall. Good polygonal pulpit on ball feet with raised and fielded panelled sides, probably early 18th century. Good 17th century and 18th century wall monuments in chancel, including two identical tablets on each side of alter, by John Ivory of Norwich, dated 1759 and 1790. 14th century octagonal font with quatrefoil panels to bowl and cored stem. Fine organ case by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, re-set from West Tofts, St.Mary.

Listing NGR: TF8569304167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221053
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05329/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Johnston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].